Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect a copier to a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlemons

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi

Just is somewhat off-topic, but I couldn't find a thread that was a better fit for my question.

I'd like to add a Canon NP6230 ( to an office LAN. But, this web site does not describe any kind of network connection. So, I'm assuming it can't be done. Or can it? Any ideas?

I couldn't find any place on the Canon web site to send email to ask this question. If you know of a place to get Canon questions answered, I'd appreciate knowing this, too.

Thanks!
tl

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to add a copier to a network? Unless you can print to it, I don't see any reason for the connection.

WW

Yep, that is the point; you CAN print to it. We have Xerox copiers in our office area, that can be printed to by all of our desktop workstations.

Thanks
tl

From the documentation (features list and specs) on the Cannon NP6230, I can't find anything about being able to print to it. How is the copier connected? Serial, parallel, ethernet?

WW

Let me clarify my previous post a bit. Xerox does make copiers that have a printer and/or network connection. If you have Canon copiers attached to your network, how are they connected? As I said, I cannot find any indication from the specs for the NP6230 that it can function as a printer too. So, from what I've read, you cannot print to it, therefore there is no external connection to allow it to be connected to the network. (However, I do believe Canon does make multi-function copiers with print and fax capability, just like Xerox.)

WW

Thanks for the replies, WW. I, too, can't find any mention of network attachment in the NP 6230 documentation. I don't have it attached to the network. I don't know of a serial/parallel interface in the copier that would support this. If anyone has, please let me know.

Thanks
tl

The NP 6230 would have to come with a printer kit i.e a print board and a Network Card, or a printer board with a parallel connection in order to add to your LAN and to print.
I know that Canon do have multi functional devices that copy, print and scan, both PCL and Postscript/PCL, however as far as I know (99% sure) there is no printer kit available for the NP 6230, there newer IR series and GP series machines however do have these facilities and are well worth investing in.
If you do come across a printer kit for NP6230 (unlikely) you install the printer driver and configure the port as follows: printer name = IP address, print queue = print enable LPR byte count etc..
Hope this helps

The NP series indicatest that it would be an analog machine only. Canon has made several series that connect up to the network the latest being designated as the imageRunner series or iR. Their first line of connected B&W copiers started with GP. Don't believe you will ever attach your NP6230. You would need to upgrade to another model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back