Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect 2 HP 2610 Procurves to a Mitel 3300

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhyscoAustinio

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2011
Hi Everyone, I am new to this so please be nice ;-)

We currently have a Mitel 3300 and a procurve 2610 switch, at the moment it has 2 VLANs setup on it. We are moving offices shortly and will be adding extra phones so need an additional switch. We have purchased another 2610 but are having problems getting it to all work together nicely. The setup is as follows:

Mitel 3300 on 192.168.207.15

Draytek Vigor 3300 router on 192.168.107.3
With a static route (destination IP) 192.168.207.0 - (Gateway IP) 192.168.107.11

Procurve 2610 1 (original)
The IP address of the Switch is 192.168.107.11 / 255.255.255.0
Default gateway is 192.168.107.3

Default VLAN - 192.168.107.11
All ports are untagged except 1 and 15. From memory the Mitel 3300 is connected into port 1, and the phone console is plugged into port 15.

VLAN 6 - 192.168.207.11
All ports are tagged except 1 and 15

We setup the 2610 with a IP of 192.168.107.12 and setup the same VLANs. We tried using both the router and original switch as the default gateway with no joy. When I plug a Mitel IP phone in it gets to the stage where it's lookinh for a DHCP server and fails, yet if we plug a pc in it gets a IP address straight away.

Can anyone explain how I should setup the second switch and VLANs on it so we can plug a pc and it will get a 107 IP address or a IP phone which will get a 207 IP address.

If you need any more info please ask.

I assume you are patching the new switch into a port on the old switch?

Step 1: create both VLANs on the new switch
Step 2: configure the inter-connecting interfaces on both switches to be default VLAN untagged and VLAN 6 tagged.

The default GW on the new switch is the same as for the old switch.

Just to add... add the "voice" command under the VLAN 6 interface to QoS mark the voice traffic. Do this on both or all switches that will be involved with phones and the Mitel 3300.

Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.

We did try setting up the new router as suggested with the same VLANs and the 2 switched linked together and the 192.168.107.3 (router) as the GW but this did not work.
when we plugged a pc in it was fine and got a .107 address but the phones sat there looking for a DHCP server. When we changed the port the phone was plugged into to a VLAN6 only port the phone got a .207 IP address straight away - problem with is that there will be pc's plugged into the phones to get their IP addresses so this does not fix the issue.

Also the QoS is not turned on on either switch, we inherited this setup and could not understand why not - but didn't want to break something that works.

You need to provide DHCP options to the Mitel phones so that they know what VLAN they are in. This should be in the 3300 documentation on DHCP options, but something like these options are what your DHCP need to provide.
128 - The Ip address of the controller (for TFTP)
129 - The IP address of the controller - again.
130 - String MITEL IP PHONE
132 - VLAN ID
133 - IP Priority (Mitel want it set to 6)
If you don't have that documentation, you can get that from your phone system reseller and/or post this question to the Mitel Networks solution group on this website.

Also remember you may need to specify a ip-helper statement and corresponding address in your switch config...you weren't clear on what is handling your DHCP for the different subnets.

Currently both the exchange server and file server are set to give out the DHCP options. These are currently working fine as if we plug a phone into the original switch it gets the DHCP settings. It's only the new switch it is not working on.

So what port on the old switch is connected to your new switch? You said port 1 and 15 were the only ones not untagged for default vlan and you mentioned what was plugged into them. So make sure the port uplinking to the new 2610 is tagged under vlan 6 interface. Then make sure you have vlan 6 defined on new switch and tag that uplink port that you used to connect the old switch under vlan 6 interface. Also add the ip-helper command under the vlan 6 interface to point to your dhcp server on the default vlan subnet.

Hang on Cajuntank - the phones should work exactly the same on both switches if he's configured the new switch right - the existing config on the DHCP server and on the router which works for phones on the old switch will work for phones on the new switch. The new switch is just a Layer-2 extension of some existing VLANs/subnets so nothing should change at Layer-3.

He needs to make sure the ports on the new switch are configured the same as on the old switch.
He needs to make sure both VLANs are correctly extended to the new switch. (This sounds like it's fine).

If you can't figure it out, the next thing would be to have a close look at the phone config. Have you only tested using brand new phones? Perhaps you've missed a step for setting up the phones?

Last resort you should do a packet capture to see what the phone is doing when you plug it in.
Do the same packet capture for a phone working correctly on the old switch.
Compare the two packet captures to see which bit is different.

The best thing I think he could do it post his config on both switches as we are making assumptions of things being configured "correctly" or the "same" on both switches. No where in his statement does he declare what ports are being used as uplink ports and their respective config for us to determine of they are in fact config'd correctly. No where does he state if routing is turned on to determine which device is doing the inter-vlan routing...too many unknowns still in my opinion.

PhyscoAustinio, can you post both switches configs (change whatever private info you deem necessary) and what ports are being used for uplink if that info is not remarked in your configs.

Yes, I assumed his Router was routing for both VLANs/subnets, but that may not be the case.

What is the default GW for the voice VLAN/subnet?

The Mitels support LLCP, so no hassle with scope options.
Turn on LLCP attache it to the voice vlan and off you go.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

LLDP?

I may be wrong, but I don't think LLDP on his new 2610 can do anything for him in relation to the phone configuration.

Sorry indeed a Typo;

Don't know the Mitel that much anymore(touched the last one 6 years ago) Done a lot 3300 and 3100. In those days they didn't support LLDP-MED and now they do from what i've heard/read.
We use LLDP a lot on Avaya.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

Hey guys, thanks so much for the suggestions, this was quite the learning experience.

So it turned out (rather embarrassingly) that I needed to make sure the Firmware versions were the same on both routers. Then they worked beautifully.

Since then I've added 2 more and they all chatter away happily.

Thanks again to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back