Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect 2 Computers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGA

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2001
AU
Is it possible to connect 2 computers with USB cable.

The ones I've seen are call Lap-Link's (I guess because they are usually used for connecting two laptops) as bcastner says they have a small device in the cabling to avoid USB powered cable issue's.

The best/cheapest way, as you probably are aware? is to connect PC to PC via two network cards and a "crossover" RJ45 network cable.
PCI network cards cost literally nothing! $8/$12 and crossover cables are commonly available at even less.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I wanted to use the USb because I did not want to open the box and and put the NIC card in.

AGA
Fair enough!
But I will point out a PCI ethernet card can be fitted in under 1 minute, costs less than $15 and in most cases, under XP, doesn't even need a 3rd party driver.
They really are the easiest of addon's to fit (just in case you didn't already know that?)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

As well, many computers already have network cards installed, at least most since the later Pentium IIIs.

Lee

The XP "Direct Connect" feature is often given short shrift. Without opening the box and adding additional hardware, XP supports direct connection using parallel ports, serial ports, "firewire" and USB. I have seen small firewire networks were Ethernet would be put to shame.

I carry in my kit bag an ethernet cross-over cables, but the use of the available alternatives strikes me as perfectly reasonable. Helmig discusses how to use Direct Cable Connections under various Windows OS versions in a series of articles:
It should not be dismissed out of hand as a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back