Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confusion over "private" and "images" folders 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aishaa

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
CA
There seems to be 2 different kinds of files automatically created by Frontpage - "_private" and "images".

When I make a website and then save it, it goes into my documents. What I don't understand is the file structuring of Frontpage.

There seems to be a lot of files hanging around, and they don't make much sense to me. For example:

My documents\MyWebs
Inside this there are two separate files: "_private" & "images"

However, none of the html files are in "private", they are all lined up underneath as loose leaf.
And same as the images - they are all hanging around and none of them went to the "images" folder when I imported them into Frontpage.

My question is am I supposed to be manually dragging html files into "_private" and all the images into "images" ?

TIA

I don't "mess" with private. It has stuff used by I don't know (IIS, Front Page, etc). The Images folder is created I guess as a "courtesy", assumming you are going to use your own images and as a way to encourage you to use that folder to keep them separate.

the _private folder is for files you do not want the general public to see. The images folder is for your images. If you need other folders you can create as many as you want and call them anything you want. Just make sure your index.html file is at the root of your web site or else your web site won't pull up in the browser.

I found the following information on the web that might be useful:

private: a folder that contains files necessary to run the advanced features of FrontPage 2000

index.htm: a blank page that will become the home page of your web

This was available at:
I pretty much leave everything alone even if it appears to be duplicated. Whenever I try to "clean up" seems to be the time I create havoc!

Hope it helps-

John-

Just curious.... does a browser automatically look for a default or index.htm(l) file when it goes to a site so having either one would work? I've always been a bit confused about this.

ALSO is there a standard to just name files .htm versus .html? I know that I use DW, and from old habit I always do File, Save As to .html but sometimes I wind up with a .htm file also. As it's noted you are a programmer I thought you might have a thought or two on this.

Thanks!

Diana

As far as I have heard, but I could be wrong, the ISP chooses the "default" web page so when you type in the actual page loaded would have a "/filename.htm(l)"

Most ISP's use index.htm (or .html) or default.htm as the "default" page to load, i.e. or
The default page can be anything you want. For example, go to microsoft's home page Notice the web address is actually No index.htm or default.htm there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back