Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confusion of what IP address go where Inside Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianpen

Technical User
Jul 1, 2003
GB
I am a complete novice when it comes to these kind of things, I have a Pix 501 and a Linksys Ag241v2 and I am trying to configure a VPN.

My networks IP range is 192.168.0.x
We have a ISP static IP address of 213.x.x.x

I am configuring The pix via the PDM and it is giving the inside address as 192.168.1.1 which leads to my first question, is this right, should it not be on the same as my network ie 192.168.0.x?

I am assigning the outside IP to 213.x.x.x which leads to my second question is this right?

I have had a look around on this forum and googled it but I just can't seem to find the answer.

Any help would be appreiciated.

The pix internal address can be anything in that network range. Just make sure it is the default gateway for the internal devices.

Internal: 192.168.0.1 (up to 256 for the last octet.)
External: 213.x.x.x

Where does the Linksys come in?

As a side note - I would change the internal scheme to something like 192.168.237.0 255.255.255.0. If you are running VPNs, you don't want the same IP scheme as the destination network. 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0 are very common and will cause problems.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back