Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confusion about Impromptu and Powerplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat12dog

Programmer
Nov 20, 2002
US
Hi All,

I am new to Cognos.I gone through Impromptu administrator 5.0 and powerplay client and Transformer tools.There is a little bit confusion on impromptu and powerplay.
Impromptu =Reporting tool(Process Includes creating the catalogs from datasource and maintaning the user classes and user groups to access the folders and calculations condition and prompts for our clients specifications.)
The last step which i didn't get is why we want to drill through to power play.
Power play=Reporting + Multidimensional analysis(Using TRANSFORMER We will crete power cubes mdc analysis)
P.P =Impromptu+ Multidimensional analysis
So we will do everything md analysis and reporting by power play.why do we need impromptu.Is there any logic behind over there.

I AM Very new to this May be its tip for this forum.Please accept my Dirty english.

Waiting for reply,
Thanks in Advance.
HFL.

Hello.

In my case, the cube would be showing summary data only, and our users usually would ask question like "How come this month, the average document delay is longer than usual." In such scenerio, we would need to show our users the underlying records which the summary figure is derived from. We would use drill-through to an Impromptu report (from OLTP) to show our users the lowest level of data for their "find-out-why" purpose.

If your users only care about summary figure all the time, you don't really need Impromptu. Mind you that, if you are building cubes that get data from SQL/Oracle/ODBC, you must use Impromptu to create a .IQD file. Otherwise, you can only build cubes from .DBF, .XLS, .CSV, .TXT... all kinds of static file tables.

Cheers!
My 2 cents.

Hello HFL,
Well I just got into using Cognos last 3 weeks and this exact question you have is still on my mind till tis day, I'm workiing on htis huge report in cognos and spending hours setting up prompts and stuff and I keep hearing from my boss that Power play will be the delivering tool, I'm yet to touch power play but I know I will be soon, but whenever I ask him why I'm I doing this and setting all this up in cognos, if power play will be the final delivering too..I'm yet to get the answer but he tells me that is the way it is....so right now I'm working hard on the report in cognos...just leaving you this note to let you know that you are not alone..hope someone will clarify this for me too..

Thanks,
Tusky
IT/Programmer

Think of it this way: You would never create a dimension catagory on invoice number or check number, yet in analyzing the results of higher level rollups, you may need to drill down into this level of detail. As PowerPlay is not intended to do this, Impromptu is the tool for this kind of detail analysis.

In another context, you may need reporting that does not lend itself to multi-dimensional analysis, or is a relatively 'one-off'. In that case Impromptu can do a lot of what Powerplay does without the constraint of cube design.

Choose your tool accordingly.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back