Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confusing IT Terms 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
Server.

1. An application?
2. A dedicated computer?
3. Both?

How about neither as an option?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

A dedicated computer, plain and simple. In what sense is it an application. There is "server software," yes, but beyond the usually implied operating system software on the dedicated computer, I've never seen "server" used to mean "an application.

>I've never seen "server" used to mean "an application"

On some platforms such as the Tandem computers, the term "server" always refers to an application. It distinguishes a server application from a client application ("requester").

And in Microsoft parlance, a server could be a database application: SQL server.

Dimandja - I think with "Application" you're referring to the Server extensions?
That is rather part of the OS.
So: I'd go for: dedicated (? or -->designated?) computer
with either extended OS (e.g. Win 2k Pro with Server extensions)
or specific OS, e.g. Win 2k Server, WinNT Server, XP Pro, UNIX, LINUX...

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

>I think with "Application" you're referring to the Server extensions?

No. I mean a program that you write. The client/server model is a cornerstone of software development on Tandem. Basically, Tandem has a configurable environment where you schedule your applications (callable modules). You code the UI to accept user input, then you code your server to edit the input, do business computing, and access databases, or call other servers.

Platform.

1. Software?
2. Hardware?
3. Both?
4. To satisfy CC: neither? [smile]

I understand the client/server model, but I still don't see server used to mean application. In Microsoft parlance it is used to mean "the edition of the software for use on servers," but it still refers to the computer, not the software.

Server, the guy who waits on me in a restaurant.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Simple;

A server is something that serves. Be it hardware or software, the expectation and requirements are somewhat the same.

Server just denotes something that can run processes (hardware or software) in a central place, and lends itself to some manner of access control to the processes/resources.

The term also has the connotation of providing high-availability (24x7 operation), scalability, connectivity, and any other -ivities you can think of.

SQLSister is correct as well.

~wmichael

"small change can often be found under seat cushions

Genimuse:

Are you saying that a computer can be a server before any software is installed?

The marketing term "server" simply refers to more robust or capable hardware. If that really makes it a server, then all computers sold today are servers. Today's low end computer is yesterday's high end, and if it was a server then it should be a server now. The development of the new 500 Horsepower Ford GT doesn't mean that the Model T is no longer a car.

A server, in computing terms, can be either a server application (Apache, IIS, SQL Server, etc...) or the machine upon which it runs.

There are "server" editions of operating systems, but they are called that because they include server applications and/or provide better support for them than the regular edition.

No machine is a server until it's running a server application of some sort.

That being said, virtually all modern operating systems run some sort of server software out of the box, even if it's only file sharing. So technically I guess all computers are servers. :)

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

If your desktop machine provides spooling services across the network to a local printer, is your machine a server, or is it running a server application? Is spooler software considered an 'application'?

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

SQLSister: GUY? Then, "servette" or "servtress"? I thought we'd finally gone to "table attendant". ;-)

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

What happened to waiter and waitress?

Good Luck
--------------

Server, the noncorporeal alien being who/that waits on me in a restaurant.

-------------------------------------
Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.

waitrons and patrons... cute.

The same article says "Baristas rather than waitrons..."

Which is funny because the plural of the italian word barista is baristi.

-------------------------------------
Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.

waitron - sounds like we've encroached on the Sci-Fi thread.

Good Luck
--------------

Esquared, I want to know just what kind of restaurants you eat in. Just how would a noncorporeal being deliver the food? Or don't I want to know.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back