Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagofchips

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
After reading through the threads, i am more confused now then before. Is the console port better to use to set-up a SSII 3300 then the serial port? It seems like a better idea to use the hyperterminal found on Win2K to access the switch? Now for the confusing part, If the switch has been reset to default settings, and it is now set for DHCP, will I be able to connect a T1 line that has a static IP and use it for multiple computers (all Macintosh's)?

Another confusing aspect, When it is referred to settin up the IP, is this to the switch or the computer accessing the switch?.

Thanks

There is one single serial rs232 port on a 3300 and it is known as the console port.

If you take a standard 3300 out of the box the best solution is to use the serial connection via hyperterminal to set up the passwords, give it an IP address so that it can be managed over the network and also set any other settings necessary for it to connect to the network before plugging it in.

A 3300 out of the box with Ip address set using DHCP will forward all traffic on all ports as they are all members of the same VLAN called VLAN 1. The IP address is for the switch itself and allows management using telnet, SNMP, RMON and Web browser.

A factory defaulted 3300 will be exactly as 'out of the box'

Thanks for the clarification...

If I was to set an IP address to the switch, will I be able to access the internet on all computers connected by using the management features on telnet,SNMP,...?

I noticed that on the pin-out diagram, from the users guide of the switch, it list 4 types of cable. One of them being the null modem cable. This cable is the 9-pin to RS-232 25-pin, then there is a 9-pin to 9-pin PC-AT serial cable. My question next question is, which cable should I use?

I will be using a laptop, that has the 25-pin (female/printer port) & then there is a 9-pin (male/serial port). I'm a little confused as to which port to plug into?

Thanks...

The serial cable commonly used is a 9-pin to 9-pin serial cable, almost all laptops until recently had a 9-pin serial cable (nowadays you need a USB to serial adaptor) these used to be provided with some of the higher end 3Com switches and is what I always use.

A standard laplink cable is also good choice, these normally have two ends one 9-pin serial and one 25 pin centronics for use with the parallel port. These may be easier to source but it should be possible to have a cable made up with the correct pinouts.

I have a 3300 that I cannot connect to. I'm trying now to connect via serial. I'm using WinXP and added the 3com as an advanced network connection. When I try to connect to the switch at first, I am asked by XP for a password. Of course, I don't if there is one and when I try it without the password, the connection is rejected with the message "Error 777: The connection attempt failed because the modem (or other connection device) on the remote computer is out of order." Is this a problem with the switch? Just so you know, after I arp and IP to the device, I cannot ping the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back