Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwhip

Technical User
Apr 29, 2003
GB
Hi,
Sorry to sound real dumb but I'm new to Domino and just trying to get it all working at home.
I have a domino 5 server set up at home which seems to be set up and working OK.
I'm just a bit puzzled as to why my client machine is saying 'ID file not found in address book'. I am trying to connect using Notes as a user that is clearly in the address book of the servername. (Not too sure if this is where his name should be).

I have also tried registering the person but nothing seems to happen.

What is the difference between registering a person and them just being in the address book, and where do they go when they have been registered? Where is the list of registered users?

Once again sorry to sound stupid but the only manual I could find is a bit too advanced - not really for my level. Any links or advice would be well appreciated.

Thanks

D

I am just beginning to dig into notes as well, but there is a clear distinction between a registred person and just an adress in a adressbook. In order to create a Notes user you will have to certify him, creating an ID file. If you create a user this way the certificate will hold all the information for the notes server to identify the user.

Just a entry in an addressbook does not mean anything to Notes

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

OK. So does the id file end up in the address book? I'm just asking because of the error message I received.
What is the procedure for cerifying a user? Is it the same as registering?

Thanks

D

No, the ID file is typically stored on the server and can be used on any PC to log in to Notes. Without the ID file on the client you cannot access Notes for a certain user.
Alas, my abstract on this stuff is in Dutch which will do you no good.
I think that you should have one server set up as registration server (in your case you have only one) and when registring a new user you do this with the proper certifier.id. In our case we have about 10 departments with respective certifier-id's. WHen I create a new notes user I am asked to choose to select one of these certifier id, log on to them and from that point on I can set parameters for that user like:

Start admin module
Go to configuration
Choose registration --> Person
You should be asked to choose to log in to certifier-id of the OU level under which you want to registrate.
Open 'advanced'setting and fill in all the settings,
one of the creates the ID file (create it somewhere on the server)
When ready , choose add person and then Register All.

In your case you probably have no OU level so you should registrate directly under the domain ID, I think...

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

OK cheers for the info. That is very helpful. Now where can I see the list of registered people?
I have managed to find the complete documentation for domino 5 buried deep within the lotus web site. So I will soon know everything!
Seems like a lot of people are using Lotus notes these days so I'm just trying to get some experience of using Domino so that I know what it's all about.
Best wishes
D

A list of registered people.

Good question. Asuming every user has a mailfile (?), you may get the list by opening the catalog.nsf and looking in the access control list folder (by name) This should give a clue, I do not know a direct way .............

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hey damianh, could you please publish the link you mentioned in your 8/8/2003 post?

I am also new to Notes (been programming in Access for years), and I am trying to get through the learning curve.

Thanks in advance,

krameje

Attitudes are contagious

The people that are registered by the Certifier ID (usually the Domino Server ID) will be in the PAB (Public Address Book) on the Domino server. You can't deploy a Domino server with out creating or being part of a PAB. The PAB database file name on the server (by default) is called names.nsf

When a user is registered (created) the ID file is placed into their person document in the PAB. When you go to setup a Notes client for that person the client install applet pulls a copy from the PAB and places it into the DATA directory on the client machine.

The error you're getting is telling you that the person you registered ID file in NOT in the PAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back