Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused - Setting up web server behind BEFSR81

Status
Not open for further replies.

herrslime

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
I am trying to setup a web server (NT4 w/iis 4) at work. This is my first time doing a web server but I have worked with networks before.

I have DSL service thru SBC Ameritech and own 5 static IP addresses. The Ameritech router uses 1 (64.109.xxx.62)and I would like to assign another (64.109.xxx.57) to the web server. The web server is plugged into the Linksys router which is behind the SBC router. I have SBC's DNS server numbers. I am planning on accessing the web server just using the IP address, no domain name.

If I setup the server to get an ip automatically from the Linksys DHCP, Internet Explorer connects fine. I run into problems trying to setup the static IP. I know where the settings are but I do not understand how each part is setup.

I think I need to do 3 things.

1. Set a static IP address on the NT computer
I believe the static IP on the NT needs to be in the DHCP range of the Linksys router and the subnet mask needs to be the same (192.168.1.111 & 255.255.255.0). Gateway 192.168.1.1. Do I need to enter the DNS, WINS or anything else?

2. Open a port or forward on the Linksys
Help!

3. Setup something on the SBC router.
Help!

My big confusion comes from not understanding how the WAN ip address (64.104.xxx.57) makes its way to the web NT computer (192.168.1.111). Or is my setup totally wrong? My test to see if everything works is to get IE to see linksys.com, to be able to ping microsoft.com (these are arbitrary) and to be able to ping the web server address from my home computer. Or is my test wrong?

Last question. Is the static IP location specific? I have DSL service from Ameritech at home which uses dydnamic ip. Could I use one of my work ip numbers at home? I don't think I can assign it to the SBC router but could I use it to setup a web server at the house?
Thanks

On the Linksys router log into the admin website using the address
Go to the Port Forwarding Tab and add port 80 and the IP address of the computer that will be hosting the webserver.

====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

herrslime,

The router is connecting the the internet (WAN) with your network (LAN). It is joining two separate address spaces and handling the routing of network packets between the public address space (WAN) and your private address space (LAN). The IP addresses from your ISP are public IP addresses. Generally, they would be used for devices that are on the WAN side of a router. In other words, if you connected the DSL modem to a switch, you could have five devices (servers, routers, etc.) each with it's own address accessible to the internet. Devices on the LAN side of a router, generally, are not accessible to the internet unless you tell the router to pass packets to them. This is what you do by forwarding ports or using a DMZ.

Essentially you have two choices.
1. Use a switch and set the web server to the static address given by the ISP and keep it outside of your LAN. The drawback to this is that the web server would not have the protection from hacking that hte router provides. Additionally, you may have issues accessing the server from your LAN unless you set up extra routes in the router.

2. Use a dynamic address for the web server inside your LAN and forward port 80 on the router as mithrilhall suggested.

I don't know if there are any other requirements for you, but based on what you describe, you do not need more than 1 public IP address to do this.

IP addresses are not location specific, per se. They are specific to the router or DSLAM they are provided from, however. If you do a tracert to or any other address, you will see the route that a packet takes from your computer to the address. If you were to use one of the IP addresses from home, it may not be valid on the router or DSLAM providing DSL service to your neighborhood.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Thanks for both of your replies.

It seems the better way for me to do this is to be connected directly to the DSL router from SBC and not behind the LinkSys. So I am going to use the WAN side of the LinkSys.

The SBC router has 3 unused available ports. Do I still need a switch? I plugged directly into it without sucess. If I have the web server set to auto ip it works fine accessing the net. If I assign the static ip address it does not work with IE and I cannot ping it.

I am not sure if I have to make some change to the SBC router. It appears to have its own DHCP. The LinkSys (actually there are 2 of them) talks to the SBC router on 192.168.254.254. I do have full access to the SBC router to make changes if I want.

Thanks again.

herrslime,

Do you have the 5 IP Office+ package with the Efficient 5861 router? If so, how have you configured the 5861 router? Have you mapped the external IP's to the internal IP's?

The 5861 is a router with an integrated 4 port hub.

Check this link
and see if it looks familiar.

[yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back