Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

confused...move 2ksrvr/exchg2k to a new 2k3srvr/exchg2k3 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlchris2

Technical User
Mar 18, 2005
US
I've been reading posts and still a bit confused. I have exchange 2k on a 2k server machine in place already. we need to upgrade the hardware, so we decided to upgrade to 2k3 server and exchange 2k3 stnd edition now the SP is out.

so... how to I move my exchange 2000 information from my present server over to the new server?

your help is greatly appriciated.

Mark C.
Network Admin - Digital Draw Network

The first thing here is, do you have the exchange 2k server running as a DC?. Exchange and AD will run on the same server but it is not best practice as both are memory hungry... If not never mind the FSMO roles..

If this is a DC.. you will have to run adprep /forestprep and adprep/domainprep if you are going to add a 2003 DC to a domain..

even if the new exchange server is going to be a standalone you will still have to run (from the run prompt enter the path to the exchange cd ie... z:\setup\i386\setup.exe /forestprep and then the same with /domainprep (CHECK THE PATH TO THE SETUP.EXE)for exchange first before you can add a 2k3 exchange server to the domain

Say you have this!! Exchange 2k server as a member server to the domain. After forestprep and domainprep, add the new Exchange 2k3 server to the domain and then installed SP1 for windows.. Then installed the exchange 2k3 on the new server and select add to existing Exchange Organisation as the exchange 2k.. server. you will get a prompt during install to join and existing org or create a new one.

Then server pack your exchange to SP1.. (Sp2 for exchange has now been released).. you will get a compatibility error with this version of windows.. This is because SP1 for windows 2k3 can affect the IIS service for exchange.. but this only applies to cluster exchange so you can ignore.

The first thing to do as soon as your Exchange 2k3 is installed is to replicate your public and system folders. by adding the new server to the replication tab of each folder.. or by using MS pfmigrate.wsf command line which is available from the MS website.

Then test the move of one mailbox.. remember when you move mail boxes you have to have the outlook client closed for about 30mins after the move to ensure the client updates the change.. it is better to move mailboxes out of hours...

Make sure that you modify your routing groups (if any) and you SMTP connector to have a cost of 1 for the new server and move the old server to 10.. this will mail sure that mail is routing via the new server.. (you will have to make sure that your firewall, mailsweeper if used etc.. are updated to have the new IP of the new exchange server for routing traffic.

once all mailboxes are over and runnign ok.. test the replication of the public folder has worked by removing the old server from the replication tab of one of the folders and test access... if all is ok remove the public folder replication entry for the old server.. and remove the old server from the replication of the system folders..

If anyone can add more detail please do...

Asktheman,

that was a great post... I appriciate it. Again, another reason why I keep comming back here for help. the other great forum members.

my exchange2k server is a member server right now, so that should make my job easier. I seperate my DC and my servers, because I had a bad experience listening to a web developer( no offense), rather than my gut.

I cant think of any other questions for you. I will give is a shot and if I get stuck, I'll be back

Mark C.

Alright,

i'm a bit lost... any help is appriciated.

my 2k server/2k exchange box is running in Mixed-Mode with Active Directory Connector. When I ran the Exchange 2k3 setup (to install Forest & Domain prep), I was asked which option..."coexist with mixed-mode exchange 2000 or upgrade from exchange 2000 native mode.)

My guess is I need to choose "coexist with mixed-mode exchange 2000" then choose "Upgrade Active Directory Connector Severs" on the next screen. At that point I can go to my 2k3server and install Exchange 2k3. Am I correct?

Can I peform these upgrades on my exchange 2k server while its live (during the day, when users are on it)?

from there I know what to do as far as installing exchange2k3, replicate public and system folders, then mailboxes....

thanks.

I attempted to run the ForestPrep & DomainPrep on the 2kserver/2kexchange. When I ran setup from the 2k3exchange disk, I choose "deployment tools... deloy the first exchange 2003 server"...

Mark C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back