Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused! Exchange versus personal folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
US
I hope I'm missing something simple:

A user has an Exchange mailbox in the office called joe@abc.com. On his laptop, we setup RPC over HTTP for that account so that he can use Outlook while traveling.

He ALSO has another personal email account called joepersonal@bellsouth.net. He's got that account set up in his Outlook as well.

Here's the quandry: If we set up his Outlook to deliver all email to his "Personal Folders," then his joe@abc.com doesn't stay in his Exchange account for him to look at when he's in the office; rather, it gets downloaded onto his laptop into his Outlook.

If we set up his Outlook to deliver all email to his "Mailbox - Joe," then yes, his email is delivered to his Exchange mailbox, BUT so is his joepersonal@bellsouth.net email.

How can we deliver email to "Mailbox - Joe," but ONLY for the joe@abc.com account?

We considered using separate Outlook profiles on his laptop, but sometimes he needs to be able to move mail from joepersonal@bellsouth.net to joe@abc.com folders.

I'm thinking about using a shared folder or a public folder for his joe@abc.com email, but I'm not sure if that's the solution, and I'm not sure exactly how to do it either.

Please help... we've got emails all over the place. Thank you!

Howabout setting all mail to be delivered to his exchange mailbox, but then setting a rule ni outlook that when a message arrives 'through the specified account' (personal account), 'move it to the specified folder' (pst file inbox)?

[small]have you turned it off and on again?[/small]

the way you have it set up you are stepping on the POP connection and the exchange connections.....

SjrH's reply may work... have his personal account's settings on the webserver forward all messages to the exchange account. Then have a rule in Outlook moving them into the .pst file.

currently your .pst file is acting as an ost due to the link to your pop account.... break the pop link and use the .pst file as a 'true' pst.. an add on for storage, not a recipient of mail.

Tom

You can configure a POP3 account to deliver to Personal Folders, and Exchange to go to the mailbox when using Outlook 2007.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back