Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

confused by terminal service licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmille34

Programmer
Sep 14, 2005
US
Ok, we have a windows app that our customers need to use for maybe 10 to 20 hours, and then they're done. We have some experience with terminal server, so we were hoping to use that, but I'm confused by the licensing. Whether it's per user or per device, either way seems like we'd have to pay for each user rather than simultaneous users, which is garbage considering how long they need to use the app. I know they changed the licensing in R2, but I don't find it particularly simplified. We could have over 1000 users over the next year, each user for about 1 week each. What are my licensing options? Does per device really mean what I think it means, that in our case per device and per user are basically the same?

Oh good grief, I think I found it, the r2 external connector license, but it's $7,999

Here's the simple explanation as I understand it (and how we use it at our clients):

* Per Device - Licensing is done based on specific machines connecting to Terminal Services. If you have 1000 users, but only 500 clients (like a dispatch center), then this is ideal - you pay for 100 clients. The downside is that the connections are machine-specific - you will need to pay for client #101, and be sure that Terminal Services understands that old clients (client #1 is replaced, for example) are removed. I've never used this model, as it can get very messy.

* Per User - Licensing is done based on CONCURRENT users. If you have 500 users that may bounce between multiple (and frequently unreleated) clients, this is a better fit, and far easier to manage. Terminal Services will monitor connections made to the Licensing server, and will release users as they log off. The catch is that users connecting to the TS via RDP need to be sure to log off - I've seen licensing servers get confused, and hang on to unused users, long after the user "logged off" (translated: closed the window). I've used this model more frequently.

In your case, it sounds like you have a rotating staff over the course of the year. You only need to get licenses for the number of CONCURRENT users you will have. Microsoft does offer discounts on retail multi-user packs (10-pk, 25-pk, etc), or you can contact your Microsoft reseller to negotiate a steeper discount on more users.

Hope that helps....

Mike Molenda

RSA Corp - Houston, TX
Technical Assistance Center

Are you sure the per user is concurrent? I think at least in 2003 it was specifically NOT concurrent users, it was named users.

Windows 2003 TS licensing is concurrent users, not named users - I had managed a network with 250 named users in AD, but only 15 terminal server licenses - never had a problem. Trust me - Terminal Server is VERY picky - it will let you know if there is a problem, otherwise Microsoft won't get paid.

Here's the catch - you can configure Win2003 to either run one user per login (another user cannot log in with the same credentials into a separate session), or multiple logins (a user logs into more than one session with the same credentials). Also, I have seen configs where the same user can log into different TS servers with the same credentials, and each session is unique.

I'm fairly certain MS Dynamics is very picky on named users vs concurrent users, but I'm not 100%.

If you have any reservations or concerns, before signing that big check, call Microsoft - no forum, no matter how detailed, will replace the vendor.

Hope that helps...

Mike Molenda

RSA Corp - Houston, TX
Technical Assistance Center

When in user mode Terminal services is not licensed per concurrent user, it is licensed per NAMED user. Refer to

Q. I have 100 users who use our line-of-business application running on the RD Session Host. However, there are never more than 15 users at any one time connecting to it. How many RD Per User CALs do I need to buy?

A.
You need 100 RDS Per User CALs. Each user must have their own CAL; there is no concurrent CAL usage. However, if some of the users share computers, it may be more economical to use RDS Per Device CALs.

Now, I haven't used 2003 TS for a few years but I am certain that the above was true in that environment as well. Also (I could have this the wrong way round, forgive me if I do) if you have your 2003 server in user mode it never tracked the users as it does in device mode so it appears to the administrator that it is working in concurrent mode when it actually isn't.

With licensing questions its important to get the answers direct from the vendor; getting it wrong can get expensive if you have to re-purchase licenses.

For your project you may be better off looking at a tool like GoGlobal which offers something similar but doesn't have the TS licensing requirements; I think the TS bit is a grey area but we haven't looked into it closely enough yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back