Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

confused by crystal reports products

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I am trying to figure out what products I need to be able to produce crystal reports and make them available on a server for users to run as needed. I've waded through the crystal reports web site, but I can not figure out what I really need to provide end users with on-demand reports. It looks like Crystal Reports previously had a distribution capability that was replaced by some kind of server component, but I'm totally confused at this point.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

You have a couple of options:

1. There are several third-party report viewers that are available to run reports. Check out for a list that's a good starting point.

2. If you're using Crystal 2008 or below, you can download the Crystal Report Viewer application from SAP to run reports. The version for Crystal 2011 doesn't allow users to refresh reports - you can only view reports with saved data so that won't work for you.

3. Write your own application. There are viewer components available for Java and .NET.

4. If you want to be able to schedule reports to run at a specific time and then distribute them out to users, you should look at Crystal Reports Server.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Six-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back