Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused? Bootup RH7.3 and can't access outside world

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServingSize1can

Technical User
May 21, 2002
US
I have a Red Hat 7.3 machine that has a static ip of 169.254.0.6(eth0) and an alias of 172.16.0.6 (eth0:0) . I also have a Windows ME machine running NAT with a private static ip of 169.254.0.1 which is the gateway to the internet. My problem is that when I boot up to red hat 7.3 with devices eth0 and eth0:0 up I can't access the internet. I ran "ifdown eth0:0" and then tried to get on the net and got on ok. Then I ran "ifup eth0:0" and then I ran "ifconfig" and both eth0 and eth0:0 were up so ran my web browser was able to access the web. I can't access the web when I boot up so I have to ifdown eth0:0 and then ifup it to have both eth0 and eth0:0 up and be able to access the net. Why does this happen when I boot up?

I added this to rc.local file and it fixed it

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown eth0:0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0:0

But there has to be another way to fix this, I'm new to linux so this is probably a lame way to fix the problem.

Adam

How did you add the IP alias? The way you should do it, if you didn't already, is to add the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0. You can just copy the ifcfg-eth0 file and modify it for the new interface.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back