Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confused about whether or not I can use IDE disks on an IBM server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonDavis

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
GB
I bought a pair of IBM X06 servers a while back, which came with 2 x 33gb SCSI disks in each - so far so good.

They both have IDE CD-Roms, and everything works OK, but I have some large capacity IDE disks which as far as I can tell, can't be used.

Is that correct?

If I put an IDE hard disk in, the machine won't start. same for a SATA disk. The computer has connections for both, but I can't find out whether they can be used, and if so - how?

These are both running Win2k.

Any ideas? I'd like to use my IDE disks . . .

Thanks

If you add in EIDE drives and want to boot from the SCSI disks you will need to go into the F1 and change your startup order from Harddisk0 to harddisk1.

Thanks. Is it really that simple?

I spent all day playing with the boot order etc, and although I'm certainly not a qualified engineer, I'd be surprised if I hadn't at least stumbled on some combination that works.

What happened is that it simply wouldn't find a boot device.

I'll take a look on Monday - the servers are in my office. Would be great if this solves it.

Cheers.

Windows looks for IDE drives to boot from. When there is no IDE drives in a machine it has no problem finding the SCSI drives. But soon as you put in a IDE drive it detects it and that is the where it will always try to boot from. If you change the Harddisk from 0 to 1 it will skip the IDE and go for the SCSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back