Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

confused about SDDPCM on VIO server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

polani

Instructor
Jun 4, 2003
CA
Guys

I am much confused about possible usage of SDDPCM on my latest VIO server. The VIo server is running latest version of VIOS and backend disk subsystem is DS5100.

Question is that whether i require SDDPCM on VIO server or not? If not , which device driver for DS5100 should i put in VIO server? If i dont put any MPIO driver on my VIOS server , will mutipaths to DS5100 and failover will work?

The confusion arises from following IBM website which says SDDPCM is not supported on VIOS with IBM DS5000 series.

Please explain!!!

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

Choose your specific configuration on this website: WSS. It will tell you which MP software you can use.

SDDPCM needs specific fixes on AIX (base OS under VIOS) and those fixes cannot be installed at will. Storage lab defines a specific AIX environment for VIOS to operate in. If you go adding fixes yourself, chances are you'll break something...

HTH,

p5wizard

I don't know your specific environment, but chances are, WSS will end up with IBM MPIO (AIXPCM basic path control module), which provides failover, and if your AIX/VIOS is recent enough, even load balancing.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back