Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Confuse about job role

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsa123

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2008
US
I just started my job as Online Project Manager. I am little confuse about my role. I been told in the interview that i have to manage day-to-day tasks as well as mini projects.

I generally take the requirement, convert it into task. Neither i assign task to resource nor participate in mockup design as it is done by my supervisor. I generally go to programmer everyday morning and ask where are you at. Most of the times they don't like if i keep asking same things(update of task).
I am just confused whether i am doing right role or not.
Can you please tell me what online project manager should be doing? Can you also explain me how i get more control(assigning to task and participate in to design so that way programmer also feel that i am involved and they start respecting me)?

Thank You,
vsa

Hi VSA,

I think your question lies in 2 parts: Confusion about your
role, and lack of authority.

About the role of the Project Manager, check this article about the specific responsibilities of the Project Manager:
Now for your the authority, I suggest you read this series about grabbing authority: . This series is excellent, it explains to you that as a Project Manager you don't usually get authority on a silver plate, you have to earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back