Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conflict with External Users Email Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay33

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
US
Hello All,

GroupWise 6.5 SP6
Console One 1.3.6c

This one has me totally confused. We use external users to create addresses in our address book. I am trying to add a new one with the address info@ZZZZ.com Console one is giving me the error "Failed trying to create a gateway alias record. The email address conflicts with the address of an existing user. (0xdb57)" There is no info@ZZZZ.com on my system though.

I did find a TID (3697260) that states "In Groupwise 6.5 systems it is not possible to have two entity with the same user portion of the e-mail address across the entire system, not even if using different Internet Domain Name, sample HelpDesk@mysales.it and HelpDesk@myfinance.it."

That doesn't make sense to me though because I already have about 8 different external users with a gateway alias that starts with info@ How were those added if it is not possible? The only thing I can think of is they were added while we were on 5.5. But that was about 4 years ago. I find it hard to believe this is the first info@ email address we have added since then.

Anyone have any ideas? I was under the impression external users were the way to go for setting up a company address book. If so, how are people adding multiple addresses that start with the same user name?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Daniel Joaquin

You probably do have a duplicate but not where you think. Check Gateway aliases on your GWIA, nicknames on users, etc. If there is a duplicate, it won't let you.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for replying Marvin.

I did some more testing and it appears to conflicting with a local email account even though they are different domain names. We have an info@mydomain.com as a local email account. The one I am trying to add is info@abc.com and it doesn't like that. I tried doing the same with my email address. I am djoaquin@mydomain.com and it will not let me add djoaquin@abc.com.

It does however let me add addresses that are already external users. For instance, I have a finance@123.com as an external user and it lets me add finance@abc.com

Thanks for any more help or suggestions.

Daniel Joaquin

It is very possible that when you create the nickname, initially it conflicts based on Internet Addressing configurations set at your domain or post office level. Even though you may have the intention of using a different domain, GroupWise doesn't know that, so it thinks you're trying to use a duplicate at abc.com. I would go through your Internet Addressing setup top to bottom and make sure you're not missing something.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back