Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring XP for DHCP and Static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jturner13

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
US
I know how to configure this on Win98, but I am having trouble with XP Pro. I only have one NIC card. I would like to configure this card to have a static IP address for internal use, however, I also use this machine with DHCP to grap an IP to use for the internet. With 98, this worked fine. Do any of you know how to do this with XP, or if it is prohibited? I know you can set XP up with multiple static IPs, so I would think that one DHCP would not be a problem.

You could setup an "alternate configuration"; the 1st using the DHCP server, and if that could not be contacted, XP will use the alternate config..

just run ncpa.cpl, open the properties of the relevant connection, select the TCP/IP properties - here you'll find a "general" and an "alternate configuration" tab - fill 'em in both, the general having the DHCP/Internet server, the other the static.

Mind you: this will slow down the statup of the machine (of the network system actually) for a few seconds, whilst trying to contact the DHCP server.

Other option: use the ICS handling on your machines, or e.g. something like WinRoute (lite will do) - that is a dhcp server, and a proxy server (w/ support for a lot of PC apps).. in this way you'll only have 1 network config; ofcourse this means that the internet connected machine has to be turned on for other machines to access the internet.

Or - how are you connecting to the internet? when using normal RAS (DUN on W9x) handling, the new RAS connection should handle IP addresses, route tables and things just fine??
---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Will this work with 2 static IP's too? Also, how do you get the alternate config tab? Neither the XP home and XP Pro I have has it!

Bill, the alternate config tab is used only with DHCP. It searches for a DHCP server, and if it can't find one then it will use a static IP address that you provided. If you go under the advanced options, you can set up multiple IP addresses. This Allows you to access multiple subnets, but not allowing the machine to act as a proxy server (you will need two NIC cards for this). I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back