Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Windows Server 2008...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpaine

Technical User
Feb 27, 2010
AU
I'm fairly new to IT and I've decided to get into a bit of study. I'm starting with Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise. I've installed a trial version of this in a VM on my PC (I'm using VMware Workstation 7). I'm now at the stage in the book where it says "Configure a static IP address and subnet mask that allows access to the Internet in your local network environment". I know WHERE to make this change but I don't know what sort of IP address to use (thanks to my lack of experience). Can anyone help? Be gentle with me...I'm a newby. Also be warned...there will be more questions along these simplistic lines. Cheers.

Thanks for that 58sniper. I've read that article but I'm still a bit lost. The instruction in the book I'm studying seems to imply that certain types of IP addresses enable access to the Internet and others don't. Could you give me an example of an IP address (and subnet) that would provide access to the internet and one that would not? I know this is base level stuff but I'm only just getting in to it.

In a properly configured environment, just about any address could get to the Internet. It's all in how your environment is set up.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

If you use a private IP address and don't route through a gateway that uses NAT/PAT, you could have a network that doesn't/can't access the internet. As 58sniper says, it's all in what you've got configured. The private addresses are in the 10.x.x.x range for Class A addresses, and that's the one most people use, although there are Class B and Class C private addresses available. Class B private is 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 and Class C is 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255. If you use a private address though, you'll want to at minimum configure a DNS server so that computers can find resources.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back