Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring VLAN on Catalyst 2948G L3

Status
Not open for further replies.

chonet4444

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2001
US
I would like to configure 2 VLAN's on the switch. One port would be xxx.xxx.2.192 and the other would be xxx.xxx.4.192.

Is it possible to route traffic from a PIX 515UR to the 2 VLAN's? How do I route traffic between the two VLAN's?

Is there a good sample config for me to follow? I'm new to switch configs, so any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
chonet

The correct way to do this is with a router with a fastethernet port. You can create 2 vlans on the switch, then place the router on a port configured for both vlans (there is an option for this under the switchport command on the switch) and then configure 2 ip addresses on the eth port (with the secondary suffix)

I am not a professional with switching but this might help.

It might be best if you created 3 seperate VLAN's instead of only 2. The reason is because you really don't want to have your PIX on the same VLAN as all of your other devices (since it is a firewall). Since the switch you are using is a "router", because of the "mini" RSM, it will route between the 3 VLAN's. If a request comes from the PIX wanting to go to the xxx.xxx.4.192 address it will go to that VLAN. I can't tell you where a good config example would be for you to look at. I hope this helps you out.

Kiefmer

Thanks for the help. Now for a twist on the setup. What about vlans involving a Cisco 2948G-L3 and Nortel Accelar 8010? What "gotchas" should I be looking out for when setting up vlan with these two devices?

Regards,
Halim

Make sure for trunking encapsulation be 802.1Q also are you going to use STP?

IIRC, the 2948G-L3 is pretty much the same as the 4232-L3 module for the Catalyst 4000 series. Here's some config from a 4232 that may help with your questions:

interface Port-channel1
no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip directed-broadcast
hold-queue 300 in
!
interface Port-channel1.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1
ip address 10.28.1.10 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip directed-broadcast
!
interface Port-channel1.7
encapsulation dot1Q 7
ip address 10.28.7.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.28.2.50
no ip redirects
no ip directed-broadcast
ip ospf cost 5
ipx encapsulation NOVELL-ETHER
ipx network A028007A
!
interface GigabitEthernet3
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
no negotiation auto
channel-group 1
!
interface GigabitEthernet4
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
no negotiation auto
channel-group 1

This particular setup creates an instance of VLANs 1 and 7 that are trunked across a Gigabit EtherChannel bundle.

Also, like every other Cisco product I've ever worked with, there are sample configs for the 2948G-L3 on CCO (line wrapped):

- Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back