Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Virtual Office phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrvNDMrtN

ISP
Nov 4, 2001
AU
Hi Guys,

I've been going through some search results but my searchfoo has been failing me.

Basically i want to set up an IP phone to accept a Virtual Office TN.

The problem is that when a phone first boots it will ask for NODE/TN information.

Is it possible to set up something so you dont need this information? I tried putting all 0s in but it didnt like it.

I know a phone needs a TN but with VO it should just go straight to the VO logged out message and won't be usable until logged in.

I am running an Opt81c and 5.5 with 2004p2 phones.

Any ideas?

What the?!?!

You need to get patches from Nortel to allow this. Speak to your Account Manager as they are available on request only.

What's the standard practice apart from the patch?

What the?!?!

Standard practice without the patch is to perform the virtual office login on a working IP phone.

Your virtual office phone must have a scpw assigned, and have cls voua.

The phone you are performing the login from must have cls vola.

As long as you have the network connect servers defined correctly, you should be good.

The userid is the dialable DN of your phone. and the password is the scpw.

For instance if I have 2 systems that use LOC Codes: NY - 04 and DC - 01, and I am in NY trying to log into my phone that lives in DC, and the ESN access code is 8, then at the user id prompt of the phone in NY, I would enter 801+my extension. At the password prompt, I would enter my scpw.

If the 2 systems use straight cdp for dialing between sites, then the userid is the dn, and the password is still the scpw.

..so without the patch you need to initially enter a valid node/TN in order to have the phone registered. From there, you can do a Virtual Office login.

With the patch (and be aware that there are some limitations on it's use), the IP Phone can register against a TN 0-0-0-0. From there, you can do a Virtual Office login.

Without the patch, you just need a valid node/TN. There doesn't actually have to be a physical phone at the remote location.

I have a TN programmed at each of my sites that I use for troubleshooting. If a user says they cannot dial certain numbers, for instance.

From my desk phone, I log into the TN that I have set up for troubleshooting at that particular office. There is not a physical phone, just a programmed TN.

I'd like to work with our vendor to implement this feature for our softphone users. Can anyone tell me the patch number we need to install to get this working on Release 6?

Thanks,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back