Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring two servers to read/write to the same SAN disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1gh2

MIS
Jul 7, 2004
GB
We use 2 p570s for application servers and a DS4800 storage system. The production database is on frame B and the development db is on frame A. I am building a new partition on frame A which will be a standby server for the production server. The plan is that the live and standby servers will be able to read and write to the same SAN disk (though at different times) for availability in case the production server goes down with a non-disk related problem. (...a disk failure will affect both servers. A separate DR solution is planned but the Technical Architect wants this standby server as well as the DR plan. DR will only be invoked in case of disk failure)

I will be adding the standby server to the same storage partition on the SAN (in order to assign the same disks to both partitions) but beyond this I am not sure how to get the standby server to read and write to the file systems created by the live server.

If you have done this before or have ideas about this type of configuration I would appreciate any tips that you have. For example,

1) would I need to backup the volume group config information on the live box and restore them on the standby server ?
2) How do I get Orocle software to run on the new partition without re-installing since the directories and vg structures are exactly the same?

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back