Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring the Lock Pages in Memory feature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBates

MIS
Feb 27, 2000
US
Hi everyone,

I have a database server running on Windows 2003 Enterprise OS (NOT 64 bit)

I want to use the Large Page Support or 'Lock pages in memory' feature.

The database service runs as the 'Local System' user.

My problem is that when I attempt to specify the Local System user to enable Lock Pages in Memory, it says "name not found". I tried user 'Local Service' and got the same error.

** This leads me to think that maybe the Oracle database service must start up under a domain account .... if you want to use Lock Pages in Memory. Is that correct? **

Thanks, John

MSDN said:
Lock Pages in Memory option is disabled by default ... [y]ou must be a system administrator to change this policy

Thanks for your reply, strongm.

I can add a domain account to the Lock Pages in Memory with no problem. (I'm in the Administrators group)

But the database service run as user 'Local System'. When I attempt to set it to Local System, that is when it fails with the 'Name not found' error.

I *think* I remember reading that to be able to use the Lock Pages in Memory, you must have the database services running under a domain login. But I'm not certain about that and was just looking for a definitive answer.

John

Try putting BUILTIN\ in front of the service account. Also try it without the space.

"BUILTIN\Local System"

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back