Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring QMail as a fallback server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edelapatte

Technical User
Feb 22, 2007
NL
Am a newbie. In the DNS for our domain we have a primary mailserver and a second server to receive the mails when the primary is not working. All I want is the second-one to act as fallback. Meaning receive the email and try to send them to the primary as soon it has come up again.

I've tried to figure out things at qmail.org but found nothing about fallback. I guessed it's a matter of configuration.

Hopefully there's somebody who could get me on the right track.

Ed

You would configure your qmail server as a gateway server, which means the following key points...

in 'rctphosts', configure for the domains you wish to service.
in 'queuelifetime', configure a value of several days in order to allow your gateway server to keep mail in queue until your primary becomes available again
You should NOT define any domains in 'locals' or 'virtualdomains'
You probably SHOULD but may NOT HAVE TO use definitions in an 'smtproutes' file for delivery of the serviced domains to the primary mail server. I don't believe it's required, but it might help.

HEre's a link I dredged up googling, haven't explored much, but they might also have a turnkey kit for you

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Thanks a lot thedaver. It gave me much help in getting things done!

Best Regards,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back