Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Offline access to mail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyyunus

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2006
US
Hi,

I have searched & read some threads about similar queestion but i found it different. So i am starting a new thread.

My laptop users want to have offline access to their mails to just read/refer to the mails. We recently moved from Microsoft product to IBM product so what all feature they used to have their they want in this also.

I have heard about replication, but couldnt found how to properly configure it basically the mail file of each user is their in the server and while they are working it should sync up the mail to a local copy of NSF file without any manual interaction. When notes closes it should sync up what wall mails/folders/contacts/todo etc to a local folder other than the DATA folder of notes. I have installed notes in C: drive and dont want the replica to be created there.

Please help me.

Thanks

-------
Yunus

When you say offline do you mean disconnected from the network?

heyyunus -

To the best of my knowledge, I have never found a setting that lets you choose where your replication is saved, it's apparently hardcoded. It is always going to save locally under the path of ..\Data\mail\
(what precedes that path depends on if you install the client as Single User or Multi User, because Single User saves those files under "Program Files", Multi User stores that information under "Documents and Settings").

One thing we've started doing is just silently replicating in the background at all times (every 10 minutes) for laptop users -- even when they're connected. This way they don't have to think about doing it, it's just done.

There *is* a setting you can enable that prompts the user to replicate everything when logging off/closing the client.

Hope this helps... I'm not 100% certain what it is you're looking for.

Yes by offline i meant "Disconnected" only. That is user should only read mails that's all.
When they quit notes it should make a local copy of mail database which i will configure in the Island profile.

-------
Yunus

Actually If i click on Replication > New Replica, I am getting the error message as 'Replication cannot be done on this database'.

I am able to create a copy of mail database useing Database >New copy option, But i want to make this as automated task instead of doing manually.

-------
Yunus

I'm sorry I should have asked you what version of notes you are using.

I am using Notes version 6.5.3

-------
Yunus

Edit the location document for the Office(Network) location and go to replication tab and make sure replication is enabled. Check the ACL on the mail file and make sure that the box to replicate or copy documents is checked.

In the workspace right click the Mail Icon and choose new replica. Server field should be local. The path is wherever you want the replica to reside and it can be the local machine or a network drive. If you do not dictate a full path and you for instance just put the name of the mail file in the location will default to the users data directory. I use path Mail\chayes.nsf and the replica resides in the data folder under another folder called mail. I have mine on my homeshare.

Check to make sure replication takes place and once you have a good replica you can modify the fields in the location\replication document to your liking.

Where do i check the ACL on the mail file.?

-------
Yunus

Check th ACL by right clicking mail icon in the workspace and choose access control

I checked in that and saw my effective permissions. In that one "Replication or Copy" option is selected.

But still i try to create a new replica I get the error message, "Replication is Not allowed for this database"

Is this setting has to be in server?

-------
Yunus

In your client go to file\replication\settings - choose the other tab and make sure that the box to temporarily disable replication is unchecked. If you still cannot replicate and you suspect it is server related that is beyond my knowledge level.

Yes that option is checked. But i cant uncheck it because its greyed out, I cant modify any settings all seems to be disable.

How do i enable that?

Thanks

-------
Yunus

The replication settings as told by you were enabled on the server.
The problem is solved.

thanks

-------
Yunus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back