Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring NAT, doesn't work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Sorry, I've been a little bit sloppy on this one, here's the whole story.
I have a PC running win2k server. This PC is connected to internet with an ethernet card connected to a cable modem. The connection to the internet works fine, there's nothing to configure on this side to make it work.
There's another ethernet card in the server, it is connected to a little hub (two PCs connected). And there a third ethernet card in the server, but this one is 100 Mbps. I would like to share my internet connection with the two other ethernet card. Now it would even be better if the two local network would see each others.

Now, someone might see a little more clearly what I want to do...
Thanx to Sithsense for the first clues.

MacFlyz

are the two LAN-side cards in a different subnet ?
If so,
first enable routing,
then enable RAS

Let the client's gateway in subnet 1 point to the server interface in its own subnet
DO the same for the other subnet

If both interfaces are on the same subnet, then you will need to
1. assign static IP's for all clients,
let 50% of your clients use NIC1 and the other 50% use NIC2
Or
install some sort of proxy software,
set up a local DNS server, register both network cards
(create two records e.g. proxy.yourdomain.com for each NIC and make sure round robin is enabled

If you try to ping proxy.yourdomain.com twice, you will see that it will take another IP every time (load balancing)
If you configure your clients, make sure you use the DNS name (and not the IP address) so the client will spread the load between the two network cards

Does this make sense ? Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

i would assume that you have three different subnets for all three NICs. e.g.

NIC1 = 192.168.1.0 (which is connected to the internet)
NIC2 = 192.168.2.0 (which is connected to the hub)
NIC3 = 192.168.3.0 (the 100Mbps card)

all you have to do is enable NAT and DNS forwarding on NIC1, enable routing on all three cards and configure all the clients on NIC2 and NIC3 to use NIC1 as their default gateway and DNS server.

you can try WinRoute software which has all these features.

Now Nat works
The thing is that you acn't have ethernet 2 and 3 on the same subnet.
I put 192.168.0.1 for ethernet 2 and 192.168.1.1 for ethernet 3 and configuring clients using DNS and gateway they're connected to (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and it works great now even if I don't really understand why you can't have the two ethernet card on the same subnet...

thnks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back