Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Lotus Notes Without User Intervention

Status
Not open for further replies.

bf2mad

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have a problem, which I need some help sorting; I need to remotely be able to configure Lotus Notes 5 without ANY user intervention.

Ideally I would like to do this by creating a standard Notes\data folder and just coping this and the user ID file to the users home drive (network drive) where notes runs from. Then I assume I would need to edit the Notes.ini file to fill in the users server etc.

I really need some help on this, I need to know what files I would need in the Notes\data folder, how they need to be set-up and what I would need to change after coping my default folder to the users drive.

I could do with some dummies instruction please :)

If you have any other ways of doing this please let me know, but there must be no user intervention.

Thanking you in advance

Phil

The best way you can do this (provided you don't have hundreds to do) would be to do a fresh install on a box. Create a folder and copy the Data folder and the Notes.ini file to it. (After you setup one person, you can paste a fresh copy back for the next user.) Now setup the user by logging into the machine and setting everything up. When configured/tested (cut the Data folder and the Notes.ini file, and push it to either their personal drive to a folder called notes, or zip it and have it expand to the correct locations on c: (ie: c:\program files\lotus\notes). If you are using thier personal drive so they can roam from machine to machine you'll have to edit the Notes.ini (2 locations) to point there. If you are/want roaming notes your All users Desktop Notes icon will have =(your drive letter):\notes\notes.ini appended to the Target path with a space. "C:\Program Files\lotus\notes\notes.exe"(space) =p:\notes\notes.ini

Which version of notes do you use 5 ? 6 ?

When we get new users we setup their notes accounts without any user intervention (notes R5)

They are roaming users so they have a notes folder on a share.

The only required files are the notes.ini the bookmark, Names.nsf and the user.ID
The other notes environment files are auto-created when the user first runs notes.

The Notes.ini is created from a base version. Basically a Notes.ini with all the correct file pointers and user specific info removed. This can be created by creating a new user, running through basic setup with that user then deleting the server and mailfile location. When given to a new user only the server and mailfile locations need to be re-entered, other user specific data will be added as the user runs the notes client.

The user.ID (password and certificates) Created for the user

Names.nsf. This is the most effort. Again a standand personal address book is created, then edited for each user. The location docs need to show the correct server, mailfile location, email address and other settings. Only really a hassle if you use lots of locations. This could be automated.

Bookmark.nsf. A required NSF for Notes R5. You could be using a notes standard or maybe you have a business standard. Either way no change between users.

Create the Notes and Notes\data folders. Place the files in there. Tell the user to run the notes client (from a shortcut that is set to 'start in' the share) and tell them the password.

Thats it. You start to get more complicated if you need to create replicas !!

Hope this helps but this is of course only how we do it with our Notes envionment. It all depends on how complex the users local setup will be. The above example is for roaming users with no replica databases, users can access their notes from any PC.
We also have users with multiple replications and all local setup. These are more effort per user.

Thanks guys I will give those ago.

Will let you know how it goes.

P.s.
We are using Notes 5

Thanks guys I will give those ago.

Will let you know how it goes.

P.s.
We are using Notes 5 but will be moving upto Notes 6 in the future

Griff79

Thanks for your reply, I am having a bit of trouble after using using my template the users workspace (desktop) is empty.

What do you guys do about the workspace e.g. do you use a standard desktop5 etc.

How can I have by default have the users mailbox and the address books on the workspace for a new user?

Thanks again

Phil

In my environment, bookmarks icons for the mail and Personal address book (PAB) and company address book (MAB)appear automatically. This is without any special setup you just need the mailserver and mailfile locations in both the Notes.ini and the location document. I think the naming of the main address book makes a difference, but I'm not sure on this. Ours is names.nsf, which of course is the same for the PAB. I'm not certain on this but the PAB and mail should be automatic.

When a user first opens any database, it will place a bookmark on the workspace.

One suggestion for setting up bookmarks would be via Mail !!
If you send a mail to the user comtaining links to the databases they require, when they open the databases, links are automatically created on their desktop. We use this as many of our users have different database access. It's also good for ensuring that new users all have the correct access rights rather then waiting for users to bother going into the databases themselves.

I wouldnt advise using a standard desktop5.dsk as this file is user specific and more complex then you would expect it deals with caching as well as the cache.dsk.

Hope this is of some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back