Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring fax for Modular Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maya97

Technical User
Sep 10, 2007
US
Hello All,

I am trying to configure the faxing capabilities in MM 5.1. Are there any documentation as to how to set up MM for inbound and outbound faxing? Do I need a fax server first then configure MM to point to the fax server to send/receive? Do I need to configure the VMSC to do this? Will I need to build a hunt group for the faxing configuration? How can the end user view the fax in Web Subcribers Option (this is another thread I need to start :) )?

I know there's a lot of questions but I am totally confused as most of the forums are all over the place never starting at step 1.

Yes there is lots of documentation for this. Do you have access to the Avaya support site? Or do you have the Doc DVD for the system?

Also nee to know is it for Exch back-end or MSS.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

I do not have any DOC DVD, I am able to access the website. We are using MSS for our backend.

Home > Administration > Administering system features > Fax administration on the MSS

Administering fax on the MSS

This topic contains information about fax administration on the Message Storage Server (MSS).

The technician usually administers fax service when your MSS is initially installed. If fax service was not administered on your MSS during installation, you must first administer fax service on the Messaging Application Server (MAS) before you can continue. See VMSC - VMD - Fax Dialog Box for more information.

To administer fax on the MSS:

1. Verify that fax service is set up on the MAS.
2. On the MSS, set up a class-of-service to use for fax service:
1. On the Manage Classes-of-Service page, select a class-of-service to modify for fax service.
2. Click Edit the Selected COS.
3. On the Edit a Class-of-Service page, in the Subscriber Features and Services section, set the Outbound Fax Calls field to yes.
4. Click Save.
3. Set up the required fax service mailbox:
1. On the Manage Subscribers page, click Manage in the Local Subscribers row.
2. On the Manage Local Subscribers page, click Add a New Subscriber.
3. On the Add Local Subscriber page, complete the following fields:
* Last Name field: enter fax.
* Password field: enter a password.
* Mailbox Number field: enter the fax mailbox number that you entered in the Fax Mailbox field on the VMSC - VMD - Fax Dialog Box in the MAS Voice Mail System Configuration tool. See VMSC - VMD - Fax Dialog Box for more information.
* Numeric Address field: enter a different number from the mailbox number. For example, prepend a 1 or the area code to the mailbox number.
* Class-of-service: select the appropriate class-of-service from the drop-down list.
4. Click Save.
4. Administer the fax mailbox number:
1. On the Configure Subscriber Management page, in the System Mailboxes section, for the Fax Mailbox Number field, enter the extension for the fax mailbox number that you entered in Step 3c.
2. Click Save.
ome > MAS Administration > MAS - Microsoft Fax Printer Configuration
MAS - Microsoft Fax Printer Configuration

With Native Fax Support, only one server in the voice mail domain, either a Messaging Application Server (MAS) or supplementary server, uses the MM Fax Sender Server service to process outgoing faxes. For more information on services see, MAS - Modular Messaging (MM) Services.

During the Modular Messaging installation on this server, the MM Shared Fax Driver is installed, the MM Fax Service Provider is installed and registered automatically, and a Local Fax Printer is created.

You must make this printer available as a Network Fax Printer. You may also need to modify the rights on the share and fax object to control access to it.
Note: In order for Modular Messaging subscribers to be able to print using the Network Fax Printer, the Windows Fax service must be installed on their PC client. For more information, see Avaya Modular Messaging Subscriber Options Guide.
Procedure 1: Sharing the Microsoft Fax Printer on the MAS Running the MM Fax Sender Server Service

1. Verify that the MM Fax Sender Service is Started and set to Automatic.
2. On your Windows desktop, click the Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes menu to launch the Printers and Faxes window.
3. Right-click the Fax and select Properties. This opens the Properties dialog box.
4. In the Sharing tab, select Share this printer. Leave the Share name as Fax, and enable the List in the directory check box.
Note: Steps 5, 6, and 7 are applicable if the MM Shared Fax Driver is installed on a S8730 server platform running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2. Otherwise, proceed to step 8.
5. Click Additional Drivers to install additional print drivers. Installing additional print drivers enables users of different Windows versions to connect to the shared network printer. This opens the Additional Drivers dialog box.
6. Select the operating systems that are allowed to download the installed drivers on connecting to the network.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Configuration tab, select Fax Service Manager.
9. Right-click Fax (local) and select Properties.
10. In the Security tab, add the Network Service Account to the list of users and groups with access.
Note: If this system uses the private Windows domain, add the MM Fax User Account to the list of users and groups with access.
11. Assign Fax, Manage Fax Configuration and Manage Fax Documents permissions to the Network Service Account.
12. You can configure any other settings as necessary, then click OK.

Ken Means

This is all on the document DVD that you can download from the Avaya support site.

Ken Means

Thanks so much Ken...I really appreciate it...I just started a new job and this is one of their projects. Eventhough some of the DVD's are scattered everywhere. Thanks for your assistance.

Ok I have everything set up per the documentation, however; I only receive the notification on the phone but do not see the fax in the incoming box of the fax server. Will I have to set up the web subscriber client on my machine? And why is it that I can get the fax directly to my extension, but it will not print to a fax machine from the extension.

Not sure what you mean by the incoming box of the fax server? Are you using the outlook plug-in and it is not showing in you avaya in-box ?

Ken Means

When I look at the MAS, I do not see any incoming fax messages in the inbox. Am I missing something? I guess I am sort of confused...how does modular messaging see the fax come through? If the message is sent directly to my extenstion, why can I not print this off when pressing option 2, 1? How can I have the message show up under lotus notes or some sort of pdf form for me to view? I know these questions are sort of crazy...but I must not grasp the whole concept...

Thanks for your help Ken it is really appreciated.

Not sure why you would be looking at the MAS to see the faxes.

If you log into your Voice-mail box does it say you have a new fax?

Do you have the COS setup for faxing Inbound and out?

Do you have a port group setup for faxing?

Do you use the Web client? And if so can you see the fax in your mailbox from it? or the Lotus plugin?

Ken Means

***Scenario***

I want the fax to come in to my extension 12345...I will go under subscriber management assign the new COS associated with fax. How does the pbx/modular messaging know where to send that fax too? Does the fax first hit the assigned number for faxing set up in subscriber management then transfer to my extension? How can I view the fax? When I press the message button on the phone and then press 3 for fax, 1 to listen, 2 to print, and 1 to print to assigned printer/fax machine nothing happens. Am i missing something?

You can just send it to you number like a voice call for testing but you would add a 2nd number to cover or hunt to the VM pilot number and than add that as a secondary ext number to your mailbox and then the call will be sent to your mailbox.

If it is sent to your mailbox it will tell you that you have x number of new faxes.

What are you using for ports from your PBX ? T-1 DSE SIP H.323?

Ken Means

Not sure why you would be looking at the MAS to see the faxes.
If you log into your Voice-mail box does it say you have a new fax? Yes it says I have one new fax message
Do you have the COS setup for faxing Inbound and out? yes
Do you have a port group setup for faxing? yes I have MMFaxFSP Devices 0 - 3 set up for print
Do you use the Web client? No they have not set this portion up...I am in the process of working with a team to get a server or place this on the MSS.
And if so can you see the fax in your mailbox from it? or the Lotus plugin? At this point I cannot see it, should I have the Lotus team add this as a third party fax capability...

Do you use the plugin right now for Lotus?

Ken Means

Not at this time lotus was not set up

I apologize, I see that for port groups we have fax set as default on MAS1 with 29 port and on MAS2 fax set as default with 0 ports. But our Fax sender services is set up on MAS 2.

if you look at the OHV as you send the fax to your mailbox does it show a fax being received ?

Ken Means

I apologize for the delay...Ken, I do not see any incoming fax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back