Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring extension for failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaystel

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2007
US
Hello all,
one of my sites have a g450 with a T1 going in and configured for failover instead of s8300. currently only three phones are configured to work in case WAN goes out. How and where do l configure the remaining phones to work when WAN goes down.
i appreciate you all
kaystel

The backup server should be listed in the IP Network Region. The phones will get the address when they register to the core switch.

thanks for the response. however actually what l meant was how the phone were programmed to work during fail situation. When i went to the site with a vendor tech, we invoked the sho run command on the gateway was able to see the these phones. l need to add more how do i accomplish this.
Thanks

It sounds like you're configuring SLS - basic survivability without a full blown call server.

I honestly don't know and have never done it.

SLS mode... I'd check the G4x0 manual to see how to add more phones. You should see a "template" already setup for you if this is working for some phones butn ot the new ones. Like Kyle555 said, I have no idea myself on how to program SLS. SLS can be more of a hassle than anything.

I think you guys are right about the complexity of the configuring additional phones. l believe it will be done on the G450. I have to engage Avaya for help.

>I think you guys are right about the complexity of the configuring additional phones. l believe it will be done on the G450. I have to engage Avaya for help

You may find it cheaper in the long run to add an LSP at this site, but using APS to configure this will not be cheap.

SLS isn't very feature rich and I'dd echo other people's comments of more hassle than it's worth

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

mattknight, thanks for the info. Avaya folks have no idea how to do that. i have figured a way.

There are some great videos on this on youtube. Go there and search for "Avaya SLS". It's really not "that hard" but it's one of those things meant for a stagnant site (not to be updated, added to, modified often if at all) since it's almost like programming a completely separate key system within a G450 and hard to document/maintain. It is not feature rich and looks like it was made available just so sales people could say... "yes we can do that". Works OK for less than 10 phones. Any more than that....(or if the site was big enough for a PRI).......why not just have a seamless, feature rich LSP? More than 10 phones and the LSP cost will be cheaper than the SLS labor but wayyyyyyy more functional.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back