Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring dns reverse lookup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuruvilla

MIS
Jul 31, 2002
GB
How can I configure the DNS server for reverse lookups.

regards

louis

I've got the same problem. Don't know if this helps but according to MS web site they say delete the entry and add it manually to creat a reverse look up record.

I suppose this is ok for 1 or 2 records but impractical for each pc using dns.

Hi,
To configure your DNS for reverselookup you need to add a in-addr.arpa zone. If you have a class C network with the IP's 192.168.7.x you must name your zone: 7.168.192.in-addr.arpa for a class A Network with IP's 10.x.x.x the name ist 10.in-addr.arpa After that you have to create the PTR-Records for your Hosts in this zone.

If you have already many Hosts without a PTR-record and want to add them i suggest you to use a good text-editor like PrimalScript. in PrimalScript you can only select columns of your zone-file containing the A-records and add/append them to your zone-file containing the PTR-records.
it's a little bit difficult for me to explain it in english, so i will try it with an example:
Assuming your File with the A-records looks like that:
HostA IN A 192.168.7.12
HostB IN A 192.168.7.13
HostC IN A 192.168.7.14
HostD IN A 192.168.7.15
HostE IN A 192.168.7.16
Here you can only mark and copy the last octet of the IP-Adress and insert it into your PTR-File, after that you append "IN PTR" to every line. Then you only mark and copy all Hosts and apped them to your PTR-File and add you DNS-Name to every line. After that i should look like this:
12 IM PTR HostA.MYDNS.HOME
13 IM PTR HostB.MYDNS.HOME
14 IM PTR HostC.MYDNS.HOME
15 IM PTR HostD.MYDNS.HOME
16 IM PTR HostE.MYDNS.HOME

Stop and restart the DNS-Service and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back