Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring DNS record and IIS for OWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

702geek

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2007
US
My DNS host has created a record that will translate our external exchange address to webmail.ourdomain.com. When I go to I get a "You are not authorized to view this page" error.

I modified the home directory of the default website in IIS to be a "redirection to a url" using "/exchange" in the redirect to field and it is using "a directory below this one" in the client will be sent to field. Still no dice. Any suggestions?

702Geek-

Your DNS hosting company simply created an A record so webmail gets translated into an ip... a few things you want to do ...

1. Make sure 80 is open and forwarding to your exchange server (even though it sounds like it is already)
2. Notmally you need to append \exchange at the end of the url ( i.e. don't make the changes in IIS default website for this... have them pointing to a location on the server. Exchange virtual directory needs to be pointing to \\.\backofficestorage\<domain name>\MBX in particular but you definitely want the default values in there.
3. The not authorized errors you are getting are individual virtual directory permission problems... not at the default web site level.

Google appropriate permissios for Exchange IIS virtual directories.. i know there are a ton of articles on this. Hope some of this helped.. please reach out if you have more questions.

Chris Clancy, EnCE,CCE

" ... when you can't figure out what the problem is, find out what it isn't.... "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back