Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring d-link dfe 530 tx NIC for solaris8 (intel) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisco2511

ISP
Feb 6, 2001
US
hello,
i am a beginner.i have installed solaris8 on a pc.
i have a dlink 530 tx NIC.how do i configure this card.
Regards,
kcp

by configure do you mean ip configuration? If it's a supported nic, you should have had the oppurtunity to configure it during the gui portion of the solaris install...

the hardware compatibility lists for the intel/solaris editions are available at:

assuming that the nic is supported, you can verify it is configured in the kernel by typing:

ifconfig -a

you should see an entry for the loopback interface (lo0)and one entry for each nic you have.

now that (hopefully) you have a nic installed and the kernel driver loaded, you can run:

sys-unconfig

which will clear your current network config, reboot and walk you through the initial network setup again.

*It is possible to reconfigure with other methods, however it will involve multiple file edits to make it permanent, but personally I prefer this method because of it's simplicity (though others may rightfully disagree).

hello,
when i type:
ifconfig -a

it shows the following message:
lo0 : flags = 1000849 <up,loopback ,running,multicast,ipv4 >atu 8232 index1 init 127.0.0.1 netmask ff0000000

now that the NIC is configured how do i assingn the ip address and the DNS (pri and secondry)
and the gateway

Regards,
kcp

based on the output of your ifconfig command, i'd say there is no kernel driver loaded for your nic (the output shows the loopback adapter, but no others). check the compatibility list mentioned above just to make sure, if your nic is not listed you will need to get a nic that is on the list. 3com would be a good choice... once you have a supported nic installed, run &quot;ifconfig -a&quot; again you should see 2 entries... one for the loopback interface &quot;loO&quot; and another one (a 3com 3c905b's entry looks like this -> &quot;elxl0&quot;). once you have a supported nic installed, just run sys-unconfig, solaris will reboot and prompt you with questions to re-configure your network.

hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back