Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring Automatic Logoff using WinExit.scr in GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCantoria

Programmer
Sep 23, 2005
US
I am configuring WinExit.scr with a 1800 seconds timer in the GPO. During preview, the user gets and error saying "Error encountered while creating registry key. Make sure you have Set Value and Create Subkey permissions." What is this Set Value and Create Subkey permission? Where do I set this?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Steve

Manually install the screen saver on one PC and set the desired values. Check your registry and you should see that timeout configured in the registry.

You can then export those keys and force an import via startup script or other means at your disposal.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Mark, isn't this an issue of permissions on the key, rather than the values set in the key? And exporting a key doesn't export the permissions, so this doesn't seem like the right solution. What am I missing?

As far as a solution to this, see this article: it seems to be accomplishing what you are shooting for as far as resolving this issue:

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Dave, I do think you are right. My goal with the registry export was to use administrative rights to get whatever values inot the keys that were failing when logged on as the user.

Steve, you can use SUBINACL to set the registry permissions.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back