Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring ATM uplink with Centillion 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

interi

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2003
US
I have two Centillion 100 switches. They are both identical. 1 mcp with two atm/155 ports and 5 blades with 20 10/100 enet ports each.

I have been uplinking the two switches with a crossover ethernet cable but I would like to try using the ATM uplink to connect the two switches.

I do not however know anything about ATM.

I work at a high school and buying new equipment is not really an option. It would be really nice if I could setup both ATM ports in some sort of bonded fashion to serve as a 300Mbps uplink between the switches.

I have speedview, and I have used the cli to reset the config on all the enet ports to their defaults.

-Brent Ellis
MATCH School, Boston

Brent,

You could get a faster link between the switches using MLT (Multi Link Trunking). Much easier to configure, but you'll use up more copper ports. You won't need to configure the ATM side of things. Configure four ports as 100M/Full duplex (spread them across blades for better redundancy)find the MLT tab and add them in a group. That will give you 400M uplink with no ATM overhead.

If they are in different locations far enough away that copper connections aren't an option, and you have fiber then it will make sense for you to use the ATM ports.

If you know nothing about ATM it can be tricky.

What version of code is running on the switch, and what version is SpeedView.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back