Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring a Netgear FVS318 v3 with VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublenach

Programmer
Aug 11, 2010
BR
Hi all,

I need some help configuring my Netgear FVS318, I am currently paying a VPN service with protocols PPTP and L2TP/IPSEC and would like to use it directly on the switch, so everyone connected to it will be connected to the VPN.
What I have tried so far is to try to guess some info I didn't know and it didn't really worked, for example, I never got to enter any password or account-name, just the secret phrase.
I am sure it's probably simple but I am fairly new to this, I'd appreciate if you could help me :)

Regards,
Rafael

You need to be more clear as to what you need. Are you connecting to sites or having users connect via a vpn?

I want to connect via vpn, I can do that on the computer, but my approach is to connect to the vpn from the netgear switch, so that everyone connected to the switch will be connected to the vpn. Basically, the VPN configuration should not be on the computer, but on the router. The reason I want this is because there're some devices that don't support the use of vpn, so I could just connect the device to the router...

Hope I was clear this time,
Rafael

Ok we are one step closer. Are you connecting to offices in different locations?

Yes, my switch and computers are in my house and the server which I connect to is in USA. Just to clarify, I am paying this VPN service and therefore it is not exactly 'mine' as in I didn't configure it and don't have direct access to it.

Ok that is what I thought. You need a Netgear at each site plus a static IP (this works best). You will need to configure an IPSec VPN tunnel but make sure your internal IP addresses are a different subnet. Example of this is: office 192.168.0.X, server 192.168.1.X

Well what exactly do you mean by 'a Netgear at each site'? I do not have access to the VPN server, I can only act as a client. Will it work?

Well being you do not have access to the vpn server do you know what type of vpn is it setup for? Netgear can be picky when trying to connect it to other vpn hardware or software. Your best solution is a site to site vpn like I stated before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back