Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configuring a 4400 without console cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillath

Technical User
Oct 10, 2008
hello

im trying to configure a 4400 switch with a lan cable but i dont know the management vlan IP . Does anybody know any way to link up with the switch?

thanks

What does the documentation say about IP discovery and web access? Do you have the 3COM CD? It has a discovery application to find the switch on the LAN and report the IP address.

....JIM....

no i dont have nothing neither the cables or the cd's . the IP is static and i dont cant do anything .

Well you can go to 3COM's website and download the manual.

Also you should be able to connect to the web interface if you have the IP address. If not, then read the troubleshooting section of the manual.

Happy reading!

....JIM....

anything more specific . i hae read the pdf and does nt help ...

Go to A Radio Shack and purchase a null modem cable for $10 bucks and your golden.

yep, intersting thought , ill give a try....

I've just done exactly that with a Null modem cable. I also used MS HyperTerminal. The serial settings are stamped next to the console socket, 19200, N, 1 from memory. ALso works via a USB to serial adapter so it's a fairly straightforward procotol.

Hope this helps. I was in the same boat. Was able to load default settings and then find the IP address by looking at the ARP table in my router.

Regards,

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back