Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring a 3com AP 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2002
GB
well, we've got one of these little things, plugged it in, installed the mgmt software - it tells me my pc doesn't have a network card. well, i've checked and the NIC is stil there. 3com's website says try installing the software again, but no joy. try a third machine which has a 3com NIC and now it runs.

but it still can't see the AP on the LAN. I've tried using the suplied orange cross-over cable, used a known working X-over cable, used a known-working straight-through patch cable, tried plugging it into a hub, a switch, straight into my NIC. am i doing something wrong or is this unit faulty.

since 3com say the unit takes a couple of minutes to set up i could look pretty foolish here, but it would be cool to be able to use it anyway so i'm open to suggestions.

cheers
Matt

Is this Windows 2000?

You will have to logon before it works, usually as supervisor. Get that working on the client side and I think you will be okay. A logon is a formal logon, no Escape key, no Cancel. Enter or Okay or a password.

I am assuming you are having problems at the wireless client. If it is the router, please claify.

Best.

sorry, should have explained clearer. my problem is with getting to configure the access point (AP). The AP connects to the LAN via a cross-over cable and then wireless clients can access the LAN via the AP.

no wireless clients are in the picture yet, want to get the AP working first.

when the AP is plugged into the LAN the 3com Wireless Infrastructure Device Manager software should be able to see it and from here it can be configured (i.e. set an IP address, turn on WEP, etcetera) but the one that I have, well, we can't see it. WIDMan just has an empty box where the AP should be.

The AP has to be on the same subnet as the mgmt PC - which it is, our router isn't involved here. and yes, one of the PCs i've tried the software on is win2k, the two others are winXP, and I have logged on as admin. the software is installed fine on the win2k box as far as i can tell, leastways no errors showing.

any thoughts?
cheers
Matt

The AP should have a default IP address which you need to connect to in order to admin it. Look in the instructions.
Quite a few of them now use a web enabled interface.

a call to 3com technical support had the result that they couldn't see any signs of life either. the item is being replaced DOA. thanks to everyone who offered help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back