Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configuring 2 NICs on one workstation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimland

Technical User
May 1, 2001
US
I am trying to configure a workstation (that has 2 NICs) to have one NIC with an address of (let's say) 150.150.150.1 and another to have an address of (let's say) 150.150.149.1. The reason I'm doing this is because I am building a test bed and will be putting a firewall on this workstation. I am essentially making this workstation a router for my testbed. But how do you configure the 2 NICs on the one machine for different subnets?

Assuming that you are using a Class B network mask on these addresses then you have already done it. Just make sure the two IP addresses are on different subnets. If you want to route between the two, just enable IP Forwarding in the TCP/IP configuration.

These 2 addresses then become the Default Gateways for machines on each subnet.

Hope this helps...:cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back