Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure Xserver to startup with '-s' switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

goBoating

Programmer
Feb 8, 2000
US
Hello All,

I'm in a software testing chore and to perform the current test, I need to setup my Xserver to start with the '-s' switch. Right now, "ps -ef |grep 'X '" shows /usr/bin/X -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-2...

I need it to contain '-s 3', like:
/usr/bin/X -s 3 -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-2...

debian 4 (etch)

I see a screen saver in the desktop configuration in the desktop GUI. But, I need X to startup with the switch every time for every user. 'Seems the desktop screen saver control would be 'user' specific.

Thanks

PS - tried the search and either had to open the query so wide that I'd get many many result or, when narrowed a little, get nothing.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Parent process of X was /usr/bin/kdm.
'kdm' uses a conf file at /var/run/kdm/kdmrc.
Add '-s 4' to the ServerArgsLocal element.
Kill the 'X' process. Its parent will automatically start another with the new config.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back