Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure Windows 8.1 to utilize two NICs properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddified

Programmer
Aug 8, 2008
US
I have two Windows 8.1 desktop towers at home, and they each have their own wireless NIC to connect to my router. From there, they get internet access.

The two computers however, are physically right next to each other. Backups (and LAN games) between the two could use a wired network, if I could configure it properly. The goal is to get fast backups between the two computers, and fast gaming (LAN games over my wireless connection are VERY problematic), *and* to have each computer still have an internet connection if the other computer is turned off.

I am using a 2nd router (not the same one used to connect to the internet) to connect the two computers with cat5 cables. This 2nd router *can* have an internet connection via wireless bridge.

I want to somehow tell the windows 8.1 computers to pass all traffic destined for each other SOLELY over the wired network, and all traffic destined for the internet (or destined for the main router) over their *own* wireless NICs.

First approach:
Configure the 2nd router as a wireless bridge, and disable the wireless NICs on the two towers. I.e. the towers each only have one active NIC, and one IP address. Simple, effective... or so it seemed at first. The problem is the wireless bridge keeps going down after inactivity. In other words, it doesn't "just work". I'm willing to pay for a good wireless network bridge, but the negative reviews of the top models say things like "works for a day or two, but then the wireless connection drops out and it's difficult to reconnect". So I'm wary of paying for hardware to do it. So now I've focused on tricky network configuration solutions...

Second approach:
For LAN gaming, use the IP addresses associated with the wired NICs. Set the network metrics so that wireless NICs are preferred. Works for LAN gaming, but not for backup. My backup solution is CrashPlan, and network configuration-wise, it's a black box. It seems dead set on ignoring the wired routes between the computers. I also tried taking down the wireless NICs so crashplan would recognize the other computers via the wired connections, but was not successful in this endeavor.

Third approach:
Create network bridges (on both machines) that bridge the wired and wireless NICs, using only a single IP address on each machine.
Seemed to work at first, but turned out to be spotty, because each computer preferred to use the wired connection, and if they *both* prefer that, they will *both* turn off their own wireless network, and then neither of the machines has internet.

Fourth approach:
Create the network bridge on only one of the two computers. Backups from the computer with the single IP (using a network bridge) to the computer with two IPs (no bridge) worked using the wired network, but backups the other direction used wireless.

So, I've tried many different things and can't seem to come to a solution...

Is the wired network on a different subnet? Say you have

Machine 1:
wireless 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0
wired 193.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0

Machine 2:
wireless 192.168.1.20 subnet 255.255.255.0
wired 193.168.1.20 subnet 255.255.255.0

Just do your backups between the 193 networks by IP address: not by name. Fix the addresses - don't bother with DHCP. You could even connect the two machines with a cross over cable. No need to bother with a router. Also make sure that you turn off the power saving config which allows the machine to switch off the NIC when it is in power save mode. That messes up everything.

I can't direct CrashPlan to backup by IP. That's part of the problem here. It wants to backup by name, not configurable. :(

No, they are not on different subnets. What advantage does different subnets give?

Having them on different subnets will help keep the networks confusion free.

Also, simply add each others host name and IP into the HOSTS file and then you can resolve the IP by host name then. job done. :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

I will try that. I hope CrashPlan will use the hosts file that way, instead of ignoring it in favor of what WINS tells it.

I have two Routers (Network Adapters) that both connect to the Internet (or other networked machines) and all I do is to manually connect to which ever Network Adapter I wish to use via the Network Icon near the Clock on the Taskbar.

Unfortunately, @hairlessupportmonkey's suggestion didn't fix it. I verified that the hosts files are setup correctly via ping. But, Crashplan still insists on going through the wireless router. I suppose it is using WINS instead of checking the hosts file? Crashplan is showing the computer names in ALL CAPS, as WINS computer names usually are displayed.

Another thing: Crashplan's network settings pane says "Internal address: <wireless IP>"... in other words it appears Crashplan is ignoring the wired network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back