Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configure vncserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoteSilicon

Programmer
Feb 13, 2001
GB
Hi
I have installed Red Hat Linux 7.2 on my system for the first time. I want to know how am I going to configure VNCServer, so that it can allow other machine to access its desktop. I have installed it on a windows machine, but when I try to connect my Linux machine, it gives me "failed to connect to server" error. Plz help

Maybe your firewall is blocking the port that the vnc server uses. Check to see that port 5900-59xx is open, where 5900 is display 1-xx.

Try:

telnet linuxserver 5900

If you don't get anything, then the firewall is probably blocking it. Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Hi,

Yes... unless you disabled it, redhat 7.x comes with a ipchains based firewall that is turned on by default and even the 'low' security setting blocks remote connections.

To admin the firewall do as root :

/usr/sbin/lokkit

then follow the screens to allow the vnc ports through or, if its on a lan, you can set the lan interface as 'trusted' which may be simpler.

Restart by doing :

/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains restart

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back