Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure the eth1...ipchain firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekkie

Technical User
Apr 29, 2000
CA
Hi,

I'm trying to create an ipchains firewall using RH7. Linux recognizes the first nic; however, the Linux does not recognize the second network card eth1 (older EISA nic card). I have done:

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/
- ifcfg-eth0
- ifcfg-eth1

"Delaying eth1 initialization" when I do ./ifup ifcfg-eth1

Thank you for any advice.

Trekkie

my first question is, can you manually config the card? try running all your ifconfig commands from the shell, if that works there is a problem with your init script. second question: if you can't manually config the card, what message do you get? run "ifconfig -a", does eth1 at least exist in the system?

Hi htm3,

i'm newbie and i tried ifconfig -a and i get a message that says device is not found. how do i manually configure an isa network card if the kernel do not see it? do i need to go to the bios setting?

thanx

It would be unlikely for Redhat Linux 7.0 to not support one of your network cards (unless it is ancient).

I would start troubleshooting the hardware on your machine first... then work your way up to the software.

1. Check to see that your network card is inserted all the way into the (pci or isa) slot.
2. Take note of anything the BIOS will display about your network interfaces on boot up (did it show 2 cards?)

In the end... try executing the following command into Linux:

[red]dmesg |grep eth0
or
dmesg |grep eth1[/red]

That will print out information Linux captured during the boot-up process about each network card.
btw, typing in [red]dmesg|less[/red] will show you the entire display of what gets recognized and/or configured during boot-up.
Do you see any hardware conflits/etc...?

If all else fails, try swapping out the network card for another one (it could be a faulty NIC).

Good Luck! I HATE BEING A NEWBIE!
-grumpy smurf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back