Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure T1 on Cisco 1841 Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

emielz

Technical User
Jun 7, 2007
NL
Hi,

I must configure a T1 line on a Cisco 1841 router that will be shipped to the USA. I live in europe and have a little experience how to configure a T1 line.

I have installed the card (VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1) and is activated with the command "card t1 0 0". I can see the card in the running config but how can I configure the interface? I can't see the interface if I do a "show ip int brief".

And can someone send my a example of a configuration because I don't now what to use (framing, linecode, timeslots, channel-group, tdm-group).

Thanks in advance!

The card should show as a serial interface. I haven't done an 1800 series, but on the 2800's you configure the different options using the service-module commands:

service-module t1 clock source internal
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

To piggyback on lerdalt, the service provider should have sent you (or someone) the configuration details such as what framing and linecode you should be using. It should be something like this:
Code:
interface Serial0/0/0
 ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
 encapsulation ppp
 no fair-queue
 service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
 service-module t1 framing esf
 service-module t1 linecode b8zs
The framing and linecode may or may not be the same for yours. I also believe that esf and b8zs are the default framing/linecode so they will not show up in your configuration.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

You'll need to know how the user has their T1 configured. At one point we used 8 of the slots for voice. In that case we needed to tell our CSU which slots were available. That used older hardware. We now use the whole T1 for data and an 1841. For us all the default parameters worked. Sometimes you get lucky that way.

Good Luck,
- Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back