Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

configure ServeRAID after OS installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad4you

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
CH
hi,

i recently got a new part-time-job at an department of an university. i discovered that the former "sysadmin" had some ... erm ... few minor misunderstandings. he installed w2k-server on an IBM xServer 205 _without_ configuring and setting up the ServeRAID 4L Ultra160-controller.

there are now 3 harddrives coming up in the device manager - w2k-server was installed on the first one, the two others were left blank. the controller isn't even recognised by the windows ServeRAID Manager 5.11.

question: is it possible to configure the ServeRAID-controller _after_ the installation of w2k-server (i want to set it to RAID-level 1E) or is it that troubling that it's better to start from scratch (it's brand new, so there is only one application to set up again)?

thanx
sincerly yours
mario

You can install the device drivers for the Raid Card, however you are not able to create a raid array and take advantage of data protection without deleting the OS and starting again (or backup and recover). This is what I would recommend you do..

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back