Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure sendmail/mmdf to forward only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msc0tt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
CA
My SCO 5.0.5 server is used more like a workstation than a server. It will never need to receive external email. I wish to be able to send outbound emails to my *real* mailserver on the LAN, and let him deal with host lookups, delivery, etc. I am looking for a SIMPLE configuration for either sendmail or mmdf, so that they know to do nothing more than forward emails to 192.168.1.1 (my real SMTP server).
Note that my SCO box doesn't even have DNS configured (doesn't need it).

-with thanks
Mike.

I think the simplest way would be to use sendmail - you can use the simple SCO sendmail configuration tool (mkdev cf). The key would be under

5. Miscellaneous Items

to select

3. Is there a smart mailhost on your network?

and specify

[192.168.1.1]

(you'll need the square brackets). I'd say the only thing to watch out for then would be any mail that matches a local username will get delivered locally. If this is a problem, you could create a .forward file in each affected home directory, with username@[192.168.1.1]

You could also edit /usr/lib/sendmail.cf to make your local mailer be the same as the smtp mailer, but that would affect users like root, uucp etc. - probably not desirable.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back