Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure pcAnywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebabe

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
Hi:
I am having trouble connecting from home to work using pcAnywhere. I've configured everything (I think) from pcA to the router port forwarding and I still cannot get any connection. Am I missing something? Please help.

Hi eebabe,
Is any part of your connection behind a firewall? Even if you have your router setup correctly you could have issues. I know pcAnywhere doesn't work to well with off lan/behind firewall systems. If need to get remoting quickly you might want to look LogMeIn.com, or GoToMyPC as they can traverse firewalls with no problems. They do it by setting up a secure gateway via port 443 (ssl). I *believe* logmein is completely free while GoToMyPC makes you enter credit card info and stuff. I'm not positive though, so correct me if I am wrong. Good Luck.

Are you using standard ports (5631 & 5632)? If so, both need to be enabled on the router's port forwarding page, pointed to the lan IP of your desktop.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

BTW, port 5631 is tcp, 5632 is udp. Post your router model if you still can't get it. We might be able to find screenshots and/or walk through the config.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi:

Thanks for the input. I did forward the router (Linksys) to port 5631 & 5632. The problem is that when I connect from home through pcA, it does not recognize the address. Office computers don't have static IP addresses. Home computer and firewall on modem/router all have opened to the same port. Still no connection. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Wait a minute. I'm assuming you mean on the lan they don't have static addresses. This is your problem. You need to forward the ports to a specific address, then make sure your computer has that address.

Matt J.

Hi Matt:

So if the office don't have static IP address, then I can't forward the ports? Is there other ways?

Thanks.

The port forwarding configuation page on internet routers, forwards user defined ports to user defined IP address on the LAN side of the router.

Is it a huge problem to assign a static IP address? If so, you might consider gotomypc.com. If your LAN isn't that big, you should consider moving to static addressing for it anyways. A lot of problems and event log errors will be avoided if you don't run DHCP.

I know PC Anywhere can scan a local subnet for hosts to connect to, but I don't believe you can connect over the internet to a router, and then this feature will "kick in" and give you a list of hosts.

Good luck.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back