Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljCharlie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2003
US
I have a situation I wonder if it is possible. We have about 20 computers. One computer is our domain controller. All of our computers including the DC gets its IP address from the head deparment DC of the company. There is a switch that all of our computers including our DC is hookup to and connects to the head department DC server and access the Internet. We have no physical access to this switch nor do we know the IP address of this switch. Now here's what I want to do. I want all of our client computers to switch from getting its IP address from the head department DC to our own DC and still have access to the Internet. Our DC will still be receiving its IP address from the head department DC but all of the client computers are not. How do I go about configuring this particular network?

Any suggestion is grateful!

ljCharlie

setup dhcp on your server and in the scope options set the default gateway to the head office gateway, use the scope options to set the dns settings and all other setting that you use on your current config....

If yopu dont want them to pick up an address for the HO DHCP you will have to remove the entry for the DHCP realy.

The machiens on you part of the network should pickup an ipaddress from your dc.

Hope this helps

Tim
MCSE 2003
HP APS

Thank you for the suggestion. Here's what I have so far but still not working.

In the scop option:

003 Router = head office gateway IP address
006 DNS Server = our DC server IP address
015 DNS Domain Name = our domain name
044 WINS/NBNS Servers = our DC server IP address
046 Node type = 0x8

Now on the client computer tcp/ip properties:

Checked Use the following IP address:
IP address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: head office gatway IP address

Checked Use the following DNS server addresses:
Preffered DNS server: our own DC server IP address
Alternate DNS server: head office DC server IP address

With these settings, it's still not working.

ljCharlie

This will only work if your PC's and the head office gateway are on the same TCPIP subnet.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

All our computers including the DC are hookup to this switch, which I believed is the gateway and I know this IP addres. I specify the switch's IP address as the gateway. It is true that the head office's DC is on a different subnet but as of right now we are able to access the Internet. All I want now is instead of our client getting their IP address from the head office DC, I want to redirect our client computers to get their ip address from our own DC.

ljCharlie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back