Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Configure Dedicate Storage Node under Window cluster env.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

santam2007

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2007
HK
Hi, I am having trouble to configure dedicate storage node under window cluster env. (2 physical nodes)

I installed the Networker Client and Storage Node software on both physical nodes, but I have no idea for the configuration under cluster env.

Any tips for me?

Thanks

You simply can not do this - you need a 'normal' SN license.

The only thing you need to do with NW 7.x is to define "curphyhost" in the "Storage Node" list.

Hi 605

We having the same problem.

Is it possible to use dedicated SN's in a clustered environment or is there a workaround.

Im not too fimiliar with curphyhost but tried it and backed up to the library which is incorrect.

Right now, DSNs are not allowed. You must wait for 7.4.

curphyhost is nothing else but an abbreviation for "current physical host" .. the machine where the NW server service runs. That's it.

If not to the library, where else should it backup to? - And what's your setup?

Sure you can use DSN licenses in a Windows Cluster. For a 2-node cluster you set up your dedicated storage node on each of the physical nodes. Add one client definition for each physical node. Use the local hostname in the storage
node field in the client definition. For the virtual node, create the client and in the storage node field, use curphyhost as 605 suggests. All saves will be local that way.

You can of course set DSNs up. But to the best of my knowledge, such the licensing mechanism will reject the operation.

Nope, this is allowed, although not very good documented. Extraxt from License guide:

"If the Dedicated Storage Node is in a Cluster then assign a Dedicated Storage Node for each Physical Node.

Hmm, the i don't know why this should be a new feature in 7.4.

We have 6 clustered servers.
6 lisences for storage nodes.
We have set our virtual server as the remote device and we switch nodes every week.

We then changed to dedicated storage nodes and the backups wont even start.

Rif123 - so what you saying is that we will need more lisences and make all our physical nodes our remote devices?

605 - what i meant was that i should have loaded a tape in the remote devices drive on the jukebox and not over the LAN.

If you have 6 physical nodes, 6 DSN licenses should be enough. You should however configure your storage node devices as local to the physical node (not define them for the virtual host). When creating the client resource for the virtual client, you type curphyhost in the storage node field. That makes the backup always go to the local device of the node owning the clusterresource at the moment.

Interested to know if this works or not as I was informed there is a bug in 7.3.2 and DSN licenses were incorrectly rejected. They were getting around this by giving full 'Storage Node' licenses but you had to sign a disclaimer saying you would only use them in the cluster.

I've been out of the support loop for almost a year now. I know this was the fact with 7.3.1, but as I understood it, it should have been fixed in 7.3.2. I never came to test this though. Anyway, if EMC has a workaround of giving away a SN license instead, I don't really see a problem. Your VAR will probably know more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back